Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Will Rokbox compatible with Picture-in-Picture?

• Alexandr
    • Rocketeer

Will Rokbox compatible with Picture-in-Picture?

Posted 3 years 10 months ago
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Will Rokbox compatible with Picture-in-Picture?

• No, we're not going to change anything in rokbox functionality. It's an extremely old extension that uses mootools. It already has many problems in that it clashes a lot with jQuery base products. The product is now stable and reaching the end of it's life. All our Gantry 5 based themes now use lightcase instead.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Alexandr
    • Rocketeer

• Will RokBox be available for Joomla 4? And why not change the code of this plugin to support modern standards? There are many articles on my site where RokBox is used and I would like to see support for this plugin for Joomla 4.

Just change the code of this plugin, but save the RokBox syntax for insert the code in the articles.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• No it will not. Nor will Gantry 4 or any Gantry 4 templates. Only Gantry 5 and Gantry 5 templates will work on Joomla 4. We will continute to support Gantry 4 and it's templates on J3.9.10 (when released) and that will be supported by Joomla for a further two years after the release of Joomla 4.

Joomla 4 is a major change and it will require us to make substantial changes to Gantry 5 and it's templates so don't expect that they will all be released on day 1 of Joomla 4 because they will not.

Joomla are also dropping use of mootools from J4 - so that's yet another reason not to be using rokbox.

We will not be updating rokbox any further, it's an old end of life extenstion that use an ancient and unsupported version of mootools. Mootools also clashed with too many other things and it's much better to now use a jquery based equivalent. The product we have chosen to use is lightcase... this is what is used in all our Gantry 5 templates and Gantry 5 itself.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Alexandr
    • Rocketeer

• Then you can find some way to preserve the syntax for RokBox that was for the articles so that the pop-up window continues to work. I don’t care, is it mootools or something else. Can you find a solution for migrating to Joomla 4 or you leave everyone without the support of this syntax?

This code will work in articles on Joomla 4?
      <a data-rokbox="" href="URL">URL</a>

What can you offer for those users who have made thousands of articles using this code?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• No it won't - Forget rokbox, neither Gantry 4 or Gantry 4 templates will work on Joomla 4, Rokbox won't work on J4 either as I said. No, we won't be changing rokbox. If you want to use J4 you will need to be using G5 and a G5 template (only when we release updates to both that make them work with J4) - once you have done that you will need to use lightcase instead of rokbox. it's a simple edit to change 'data-rokbox' to 'data-rel="lightcase"' which can be done with a search/replace on your articles. J4 is a massive change and it's highly likely that you are going to need to edit all your article content anyway.

Regards, Mark.
    • Alexandr
    • Rocketeer

• I will have to replace this code everywhere in the articles:
          <a data-rokbox="" href="URL">URL</a>

to this code:
          <a data-rel="lightcase" href="URL">URL</a>

right?
    • Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alexandr.
  • Re: Will Rokbox compatible with Picture-in-Picture?

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• It's correct if all you are doing is using rokbox without any of it's other parameters. If you specify album or caption for example then you will need to remove those parameters and add the lightcase equivalent instead https://cornel.bopp-art.com/lightcase/

Regards, Mark.
    • Alexandr
    • Rocketeer

• Now I use Joomla 3.9, RokBox, as well as a template for gantry 5 and Gantry 5. I do not use Gantry 4, and everything works as it should.

I think it would be a right step if you wrote about all the extensions that will not be compatible with Joomla 4 on your site. Because I have never seen any information that RokBox will no longer be supported. I don’t even know what other extensions you stop supporting when upgrading to Joomla 4.

And also write how non-working extensions can be replaced during migration to Joomla 4. I think it will be interesting for everyone.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds