Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED New to Gantry 5

• DJsCass
    • Hero Rocketeer

SOLVED New to Gantry 5

Posted 4 years 4 months ago
    • I'm re-doing a website which means I'm learning Gantry 5. I've already run into an issue that I hope someone can help me with. I did not see a listing under “Layout” for the Joomla-included “Random Image” module, so I made one within Joomla (as opposed to Gantry), placing it in the "showcase-a" position. Then I went to Gantry "Layout" and placed a custom html container in the showcase-b position, deleting the c and d positions.

What ended up showing on the front end is what is depicted in picture a, INSTEAD of what is in picture b (the old site that I'm re-doing). Thanks for any assistance or direction on how to fix this. Another question, would be "Do I still put articles in the same as always, within the Joomla framework?
    • Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by DJsCass.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED New to Gantry 5

• Please post url, superuser ID and password in the secure tab of your reply and I will look for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • DJsCass
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Thank you. I attached the info...very basic site; just started.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I've corrected your set-up to be much more appropriate.

1. In Gantry 5 you can create module positions wherever you like and call them whatever you like. So that's what I've done
      2. You didn't have the image module assigned to showcase-a you had it in sidebar-a but I've now alter it to the new position anyway
      3. The random image module url was incorrect so I fixed that.
      4. Your page was using the "default" outline which in turn was inheriting it's layout from the base outline. You should not put "page specific" content on the layout of the base outline or default outline as that layout is share by many pages - so I move the customhtml particle content into a module and assigned that to a new position that I created on the layout.

So now, your page looks pretty much like what you asked for in your screenshot.

Observations:

1. You've got tons of inline CSS in your html markup - you really should avoid doing this and let the content use the inherited defaults. If that isn't what you want then you should use classes and custom CSS to effect the styling that you want.
      2. You're hardcoding dimensions into your html markup - do not do this as it will not work well in a responsive template.
      3. I am not sure that "random image" module is going to work well responsively since you have to specify fixed dimensions in it's settings.
      4. I would have expected that you use a separate outline fo rthe "home" page since that is normally a different page structure to the rest of the pages in your site. It's not mandatory butit is "normal".

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • DJsCass
    • Hero Rocketeer

• I will be reviewing this in detail as soon as time permits when I am able to work on the site. However, a couple of questions if you please. I have not "knowingly" added any coding (especially since my coding expired with basic html; no css at all) so am wondering how it got there? Any ideas? Not sure what "hard-coding" is since, again, have not knowingly put any in other than italics, bolding and such? The "random image" module is one that comes with Joomla that I used on the old website; would that have coding in it that isn't compatible? Also, I installed two templates but am opting to use the one, so can I just un-install the other. I truly appreciate your efforts in this and hope I'm not over my head!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• The coding I am referring to is that which you placed in the customhtml particle that you created. In that html code that you added ios a lot of inline CSS styling on the html elements and with hardcoded fixed dimensions. I have now moved that particle code to a module instead.

When you move to a responsive template it may indeed be necessary to alter code that was previously used on a "fixed" width template.

Regards, Mark.
    • DJsCass
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Thanks so much! I see what you mean and will probably just delete the "random image" and then make the "banner" centered. I started adding the few articles with slideshows and it is going well so just a note to say how much I appreciated the assistance. I think I realized that with the size site I'm re-doing (about 8 pages/informational only), I'm better off to use the core Joomla features for the most part.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds