• SOLVED rendered url issue

Posted 4 years 4 months ago
    • Following are my site’s SEO options.

Search Engine Friendly URL: Yes
      Use URL rewriting : Yes
      Add Suffix to URL : Yes
      Unicode Aliases : No
      Site Name in Page Title : No

However, no matter what link I use, I have to add template name at the end of the url (example: &template=rt_xenon

Example: following is a newsletter link. If the &template=rt_xenon is not ther at the end of the url its always taking me to the home page

internationalag.org/index.php?option=com...innyonline@yahoo.com
      I think this is a problem with the template, because I have to add
      &template=rt_xenon in the URL to see the actual content:

internationalag.org/index.php?option=com...om&template=rt_xenon

So, maybe your template doesn't include the tag. Please help.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED rendered url issue

• Please post url, superuser ID and password in the secure tab of your reply and I will look for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED rendered url issue

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to MrT, moderators and administrators
    • Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Joseph D. Ramsey.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok so some observations:

1. You've got the "home" outline set as the default. This is not correct since the "default" outline should be the one set as the default template. The "home" outline should just be assigned to your "home" menu item.
      2. Gantry 5 is out of date on G5.4.29 so please backup and update to latest v5.4.31
      3. Xenon template is way out of date on v1.2.0 - so please backup and update to latest v1.3.9
      4. When I click on any of your newsletter items they open using the "home" outline (see 1. above) because you set it as the default template. The "home" outline does not have a "page content" particle on the layout and therefore there is nowhere for the component output (for the newsletter item) to be rendered - so all you apparently see is the "home" page. I added a "page content" particle for you and now you do see the newsletter item (within the "home" outline layout). But, this is still wrong because these pages should be using the "default" outline (see 1. above).
      5. The newsletter item urls are as they are because they are "orphaned" or "menuless" - really you should create a "hidden" menu item that has a menu item type that matches the component and then the urls would not be orphaned and you would get a more meaningful url.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to MrT, moderators and administrators
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• 1. You're creating your own menu items of type "url" and the url that you are using is to "hidden" menu items. This is wrong in my opinion your menu items should just use the component properly. For example, instead of your "newsletter" menu item being a manually entered url you should change the menu item type to "ns pro > ns pro newsletter list". Also, although I believe using a "url" menu type is wrong here, it's absolutely not necessary to be quoting the template name in those manual urls.
      2. I believe if you addressed point 1 above then the social links would then be correct.

Regards, Mark.

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• How do you navigate your site to get to that newsletter item that shows those social links please (don't just give me that made-up url).

Regards, Mark.

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• In these newsletters you are hardcoding the urls yourself (which is wrong). Again you have code templatename and com_content into the urls when you should be using the normal navigation path to the requisite nesletter (ie. a SEF url). So, think about how you would navigate directly to that exact newsletter on your site (create a menu item if you don't have one) and then click on that menu item - then look in the browser address bar - this will give you the URL that you should be using rather than these made up orphaned links that you are hardcoding into your newsletters.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by MrT.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds