Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Joomla 4

• Emms
    • Jr. Rocketeer

SOLVED Joomla 4

Posted 3 years 3 weeks ago
    • Hi,

Do you intend to qualify your templates as compatible with Joomla 4 ?
      I know it is only in Beta version, and Joomla!10 in alpha version, but have you started your investigations on compatibility issues ?

Emms
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Joomla 4

• We wrote a blog article some time ago about this https://rockettheme.com/blog/joomla/279-rockettheme-update-joomla-4-more .

Joomla 4 continues to stretch out into the future with delay after delay. When it eventually does get released we will be releasing Gantry 5.5 and working through the Gantry 5 template portfolio and releasing versions compatible with Joomla 4. Gantry 4, it's templates, and all the old RT extensions will NOT be made to work on Joomla 4 at all. However, at the same time that Joomla 4 is released, Joomla will also release Joomla 3.10.x and that will be supported by them for another two years. So, during that time, we will continue to support Gantry 4 and it's templates on the J3.10.x platform.

We've been slowly retiring the old RT extensions and making them "legacy" (i.e. unsupported) - this has been done as technology has moved on and they have largely been superseded by Gantry 5 particles instead. The continual flow of updated PHP versions has also hastened this. Gantry 5.5 will be made to work on PHP8 but Gantry 4 will not.

I hope that is clearer for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Emms
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hello,

It is only partially clearer. For the links and articles you have put forward, I didn't find any annoucement of usable RT templates on Joomla!4.
      I use Gantry 5 templates from RT. I am using your template for over 10 years now. But I have kept updated on Gantry 5.

Considering that it is already possible to publish Joomla4 sites, do you have some templates which are usable?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Joomla 4 is not yet released. They have just announced another delay to incorporate bootstrap 5. We do not release templates for beta products. So, no, we don’t have any templates or gantry version that works with Joomla 4. When J4 officially releases we will then release Gantry5.5 and templates to use it.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Cebby, Emms, Suls

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Emms
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 2 years 5 months ago
    • Hi,

Now Joomla 4 is released. I have seen that most templates were updated, but how about components such as RokSprocket?
      They are pointed out as causing issues on Pre-Update Check for Joomla 4.0.4.

Regards,
      Emms
    • Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Emms.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Emms
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hello Mark,
      Thank you for your fast reply. I share the view of your customers that it is a pitty you are giving up all Rocket extensions. Typically, recoding hundreds of articles to fall back from RocSprocket and RokBox is a pain.
      I also read that you point out that Joomla 4 is not a must, but let me have a different opinion. Keeping up to date with Joomla is a must in my opinion.
      It counts for what it counts, I am not posting much, use Joomla on my part time only. But for 10 years now, and in IT for almost 40 years, as a a professional.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Thanks for your views - but the decision is not mine to make, and it's been made.

Roksprocket is ancient now and uses mootools - Joomla 4 removes mootools and updates to using Bootstrap 5. We've been gradually retiring RT extensions for some time now as much of the functionality has been superseded by "particles" in Gantry 5 (the framework on which we DO support Joomla 4). For example, there is no need to use "rokbox" at all since the equivalent in Gantry 5 is to use "lightcase" which does virtually exactly the same.

Dependent upon what you're using in Joomla 4 yout MIGHT get away with using roksprocket in a Gantry 5 project still if you load mootools in the "frameworks" atom - but that will by luck. The whole codebase for roksprocket would need to be substantially rewritten and we just don't have the resources to do that (especially since we alreay have particles that can do much the same).

Rememember that Joomla have said they will support J3.x for a further two years so you can keep "up to date" with joomla - just on their "3" series rather than "4" series.

We've put a HUGE amount of effort into making Gantry 5, 39 themes, across 3 CMS's - we've been doing this for months Joomla 4 required substantial changes and at the same time Wordpress released WP5.8.x which also required huge changes. So, we're doing our best, but we have limited resouces. Next is PHP 8.1 compatibility which also requires substantial changes to the codebase. We simply have to draw the line somewhere.

Regards, Mark.
    • Emms
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hello Mark,

First, thank you for your comprehensive answer. I have updated my site with Supra theme, which is Gantry 5, and was updated on Joomla 4. So you are right that particles are usable, and I did integrate them on my site.
      Rockbox can be replaced, but I have 300 articles, some above 16 pages long. So it is a lot of work to recode every article.

I really liked roksprocket to propose different media, coupled with CSS coding. I didn't see an equivalent on particles, but they are not far behind.

I understand that decisions for code maintenance can turn as headaches, and I also appreciate that I can plan my own update in time, meaning through the next 1 or 2 years.

Regards,
      Emms

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds