Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Comic Community - New Gantry 5 Callisto

• Comic Community - New Gantry 5 Callisto

Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    • We decided to give the new Gantry 5 framework with the Callisto theme a spin, knowing we could modify later if needed. The new framework and template fit so well with our ideas and purpose that we created each page exactly as we wanted and launched. We are launching four other community sites and have begun transitioning them to Gantry 5 also.

Web Site: http://thecomicraven.com

Features: Rockettheme: Callisto template; StackIdeas: EasySocial, EasyBlog, and EasyDiscuss.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: Comic Community - New Gantry 5 Callisto

• Wow! You have an impressive grasp of our new technology. I would surmise you've used Gantry 4 so I was wondering what the transition to Gantry 5 was like for you?
  • Re: Comic Community - New Gantry 5 Callisto

• I am familiar with Gantry 4, and used it a few times. My Bootstrap and LESS skills were falling way behind though, so when I heard about the Gantry 5 Beta and watched the demo, I thought now here is something I can turn over to my less than technical clients. The ability to create entire layouts and have the clients drag and drop what they need is just what the Joomla community needs. If you provide this for WordPress, it will take the world by storm.

I code just enough to get myself into trouble... my forte' is in developing an easy to use site, with the right components, and then turning over to the client and training them on how to use it.

I had no problems creating custom particles, custom yaml and twig files. Your documents helped a lot and it all went very smooth. I did like Gantry 4, but I did not find it as easy as Gantry 5 to customize, the new framework is so incredibly easy to use. A lay person can design like a professional, and the professionals can completely customize the template without fear of updates. I also have to say I have found no issues or conflicts with other components I use.

All in all... this is the framework I will be using for the forseeable future. Very nicely done!
    • The following users have thanked you: metadojo

• DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Marni J Derr wrote:
      All in all... this is the framework I will be using for the forseeable future. Very nicely done!

I've passed this along to the devs, it'll make them happy ;)
    • metadojo
    • Rocketeer

• Nice work Marni!
    • The following users have thanked you: Marni J Derr

• Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

• Hi Marni. I haven't had a chance to work with Gantry 5 yet and I've been putting it off because I thought that it would be a time-consuming event. From what you have said, it might be alot easier than I thought.

Nice job on the site. I noticed two things: (1) when you click on the Auction House, it takes you to a 404 Callisto layout page, and (2) the slideshow on the front page has a bit of a delay and jump to it. I also noticed that same issue with the Sirocco template. Not sure what it causing it.

We have to get together for coffee again soon. :)
    • Best wishes,
      Rae

• Hi Rae,

Gantry 5 is very easy to use. Quick too.

Yes, the jump is from an issue I'm having with Roksproket images. I don't want to set a max width and height because I need them to remain responsive. So I need to make the images all the same size I believe.

Created a custom page for the Auction, which won't be finished until this summer.

We should definitely meet for coffee sometime.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Rae French wrote:
      (2) the slideshow on the front page has a bit of a delay and jump to it. I also noticed that same issue with the Sirocco template. Not sure what it causing it.

Imagine the container that RokSprocket creates for its slideshow images. If you put an image in the container that is slightly larger than the container size, RokSprocket will crop the the area of the image that extends past the container bounds. You will never see any of this happening - so far so good.

Now lets supply an image that is 25% smaller in area than the container. To get this image to fit RokSprocket has to scale the image to fit the container and this is the "jump" that you see.

Rule of thumb:
      Make your RokSprocket images slightly larger than their container ;)
    • The following users have thanked you: Marni J Derr

• Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

• Marni, maybe if you want to leave the item in the menu and it won't be done for a while, it might be best to place an information page there letting people know what it is and when it is coming. That way it maintains the uniformity for the rest of the site.

Dan, thanks for the tip. I enlarged the images (in my case for a Sirocco site, from 1200 pixels to 1800 pixels width) and set the animation to Crossfade and it is working perfectly now. Looks great on mobile devices too. :)
    • Best wishes,
      Rae

• So I had it backwards, and should have left them slightly larger. Doh.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds