Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Personal Website - DigitaEther, personal site

• Tom Rowe
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Personal Website - DigitaEther, personal site

Posted 18 years 3 months ago
    • This is my personal web site. I'll be moving it to the root folder in a week or two one I feel I have everything tight.

www.tomandcindyrowe.com/joomla

Feedback welcome.

Tom Rowe
    • Nathan
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Personal Website - DigitaEther, personal site

• Nice work. Really clean and to the point. Great way for family and loved ones to keep up to date with your family.

I like how you integrate the photo albums into it all

Good job :)
  • Re: Personal Website - DigitaEther, personal site

• Yeah looks good. I like the way you implemented that template a lot.

If you haven't before, you might want check out Gallery2 or Coppermine for the pictures. I favor Gallery2 because of the upload options it has.
    • Tom Rowe
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• remus wrote:
      Nice work. Really clean and to the point. Great way for family and loved ones to keep up to date with your family.

I like how you integrate the photo albums into it all

Good job :)

Thanks. I had to look around for a while to figure out how to make it so that I have only one wrapper, into which I can display different "albums." Had to change a little code so that I can pass a "url=" paramater to the Wrapper.

Tom
    • Tom Rowe
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Grant Brown wrote:
      Yeah looks good. I like the way you implemented that template a lot.

If you haven't before, you might want check out Gallery2 or Coppermine for the pictures. I favor Gallery2 because of the upload options it has.

I have found jAlbum quite easy to work with, although it took a while to find a skin that I liked that also worked in a Joomla Wrapper. What features does Gallery2 have that jAlbum doesn't?

Thanks ...

Tom

• jAlbum is a static page generator whereas Gallery and the likes are dynamic. You install it sort of like Joomla, and then install a bridge so that the two play nicely together. From there, when you log into Joomla you are logged into Gallery. You can upload pictures to your website right from your browser. It also has a nice Java applet where you can just drag and drop pictures right to the website. I setup this for my family so everyone can post there own pictures. I tried about 5 or 6 of those type apps and Gallery2 won out because of the easier upload as there aren’t many people in my family that can handle resizing and ftp of photos.
    • Tom Rowe
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • Grant Brown wrote:
      jAlbum is a static page generator whereas Gallery and the likes are dynamic. You install it sort of like Joomla, and then install a bridge so that the two play nicely together. From there, when you log into Joomla you are logged into Gallery. You can upload pictures to your website right from your browser. It also has a nice Java applet where you can just drag and drop pictures right to the website. I setup this for my family so everyone can post there own pictures. I tried about 5 or 6 of those type apps and Gallery2 won out because of the easier upload as there aren’t many people in my family that can handle resizing and ftp of photos.

Although I find jalbum really easy to use, I can see the technical advantage. But, for my tastes, I haven't seen a site using Gallery where I thought it actaully looked really good. The jAlbum skins are great, and easy to use. If you could point me at some sites that use Gallery that look really good, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

• Gallery can adapt to the style of the CMS theme. Use the sinus theme inside Gallary.

I use on numerous sites.

I don't have in stock in Gallery or jAlbum, so I'm not trying to sell you on it. Just thought you should take a look at them.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by Grant Brown.

• Tom Rowe wrote:
      This is my personal web site. I'll be moving it to the root folder in a week or two one I feel I have everything tight.

www.tomandcindyrowe.com/joomla

Feedback welcome.

Tom Rowe

Wow NICE job! The images are nice sized and highlight the text well. The only thing I would do is through a new favicon on it and you are all set.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds