Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Finding an ISP to host Joomla site

Finding an ISP to host Joomla site

Posted 18 years 2 weeks ago
    • I have the feeling that my current ISP is a cause of a rather pokey Joomla experience. I was wondering what experience people have had with their ISPs hosting Joomla sites.

onno
    • Last Edit: 18 years 1 week ago by .
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Finding an ISP to host Joomla site

• Re: Finding an ISP to host Joomla site

• I use a company called 123connect, I've been with them for about 5 years and they have amazing customer service.

I do a lot of testing on the servers, so if I can do it then its possible.

Excellent company and highly recommended.
    • It's not a bug, it's a feature!
    • Fox
    • Rocketeer

• I've got several customers, and my own sites on www.surftown.com .
      No problems, no hasle, fast servers, good control panel, good support and last but not least very good prices.. :)
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• if your looking for a dedicated server, i'm using server4you.net and am quite pleased with the service.

Posted 18 years 1 week ago
    • Thanks for the feedback.

I'm using phpwebhosting.com, and they have a very generous policy, the most generous policy around, that I can find, and after i complained that things were slow, they offered to move me to a faster server, so that seemed to be pretty responsive to my needs.

I do not yet know what kind of usage this site will get, so I will not start out with a dedicated server, but that sounds like a great option. The Rocket Theme site definitely rocks Andy! After checking with your blog, http://www.rockettheme.com/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,132/p,2/ , you must be running their top of the line dedicated host. How much difference does the php optimization make over and above the dedicated server? Anyway, the Town didn't budget for the web site this year, so it will be slow going until next year, if they decide to pony up a more realistic budget.

As to the other two suggestions, they appear to both be brittish. Are there any issues with hosting globally? The old idea of an ISP to be local doesn't really apply anymore, does it?
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Posted 18 years 1 week ago
    • APC makes a huge difference. Most hosting companies have no PHP optimizers, some might have zend which does help, but APC is in a completely different league. I've been talking to the good folks at Rochen who manage our joomla.org servers. Those are super busy servers, with something like 500 requests per second, and after I told them about APC and they installed it they LOVE it. Server loads dropped dramatically, response speed increased and basically they can handle more requests. with APC they see upwards of 99.5% cache hit, that means that only .5% of all calls are not coming right from the APC cache.

Anyway enough of that, I used to use phpwebhosting for my personal site, and while they were fast and offered ssh, and pretty much no limits, they did start to get slower, and slower and slower. With my dedicated server, I just didn't need that hassle any more.

Posted 18 years 5 days ago
    • Thanks for all of the information. I took a chance and checked out a godaddy.com account that they already had for another web site, and what a surprise, 5 GB of room to grow into and it has been fast in comparison to PHPwebhosting, and you cannot beat the price, $3 a month. It's not like the Rocket site, but hey, the chance of more than a few hits per hour are slim.

We will see.

onno

Posted 18 years 5 days ago
    • Check hostgator.com also :)
    • Whoey
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 18 years 1 day ago
    • I'm happy with my hosts, although they are small, and maybe not as cheap or fast (not saying the servers are slow either!) as some of the big guys, they offer customizable solutions...

www.primerelay.net
    • I'm an Individual, just like everyone else...

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds