Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Looking for CCK alternates to K2

• SOLVED Looking for CCK alternates to K2

Posted 2 years 3 weeks ago
    • Hey folks I'm looking for opinions from experianced Joomla developers.

My patience with K2 and Joomla 4 compatibility is wearing thin. I've used K2 for about 14 years as a CCK (content construction kit). I love a lot of features in K2 (image resizing, multi-editor mgnt, extra fields, layout overrides, category dependencies to control layout and display). We customize layouts like mad in K2 BUT it's not keeping up with what I can do in Wordpress AND the delay in making K2 J4 compatible is killing my production schedule and business model for Joomla projects.

We also use RocketTheme templates or build off the Gantry 5 hydrogen or helium theme for all our sites.

For those of you use use a CCK type component to really control and manage your content (instead of using Joomla Articles), what CCK component are you using? How long have you been doing so? How robust is it for a developer to use? etc.

Some of the Joomla Article alternates I have seen out there: Zoo, FlexiContent, EasyBlog

The idea of shifting to a new CCK is a HUGE decision, so any thoughts and experiances would really be appreciated.

Thanks
      Jack
    • Jack Hughes
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Looking for CCK alternates to K2

• Joomla itself has moved on and it really obviates the need to use k2 or zoo. G5 particles are also a simple way of letting users fill in a few fields and be able to turn that into rich styled output. Particles are easy to write.

Joomla supports extra fields now too.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Looking for CCK alternates to K2

• Hey Mark, thanks for your opinion.

What I really miss with Joomla Articles is ability to create different layout overrides and display logic based by category. To me this is the brilliance of K2. It simplifies my clients interaction with the website. All they have to do is create a K2 item and assign it to the correct category and they are done. This allows me to build out staff diretories, FAQs, blogs, fancy landing page layouts, and promo teasers all within various K2 category branches.

If my clients had to choose which layout to use each time they create a Joomla Article, they would forget half the time.

Particles are great but from a non-techical content editor POV, my client has to use different tools to create their content. The user experiance for my client is so important. For them, the way I setup Joomla and K2 is really easy for them to publish thousands of K2 items and still have the layouts and looks stay coherent.

I know I'm whining a bit and I might be too change adverse in my approach.
    • Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by williamconifer.
    • Jack Hughes
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• That’s exactly what I do for my clients. They just write articles and put in a category I then write particles to pick up the articles and present them in many different ways from slideshows to accordions to tabs to blogs.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Looking for CCK alternates to K2

• Thanks Mark.

So to translate your approach vs my K2 approach... you're using customized particles to customize your content layout vs. a k2 layout override?

Are you controlling which particles are used by Gantry outlines to change layouts between sections of your website?
    • Jack Hughes
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I tend to stick with one or two outlines for the whole site. Where content is variable I use module positions on the layout and use joomla module assignments. Don’t forget a particle can be put in a module wrapper too.

Regards, Mark.
    • Daniel
    • Rocketeer

Posted 1 year 9 months ago
    • @williamconifer

Have you looked into JReviews?

I highly recommend it. Can be customized, and used for just about any type of site. Has its own custom fields and many ways to output content. Both joomla and wordpress compatible, personally I prefer joomla with jreviews. The features are seemingly endless depending on your imagination. A list of addons to handle most anything.

Been working with jreviews for over ten years after switching from K2.

Cheers!
      Daniel

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds