0 items Join Now

Joomla Server & JSAS - WOW!

• Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Joomla Server & JSAS - WOW!

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • LONG POST, BUT WORTH IT - maybe!

Up until last night I had to use one of my domains on the Internet to build a Joomla site. I had tried to install PHP and MySQL on my computer in order to build them locally, but had many bugs and problems in getting things to work properly (ok, coders can laugh).

But last night, while browsing around the the Extensions pages on Jommla.org, I found an application that was , to me, incredible.

Their blurb on Source Forge says it all:

"Ravenswood Joomla Server (previously JoomlaLite) is a win32 web/mysql/ php server for Joomla! 1 .0. It provides a completely standalone environment for development, test and demonstration purposes. No installation is required and no system files or registry changes are required. It uses the well known Uniform server to provide the AMP environment with the addition of the Unitray plugin to control access to various additional options, Joomla 1.0 has been installed and configured."

Within an hour, I used PHPMyAdmin and MySQL to copy my Joomla site from the web to Joomla Server on my machine. Outstanding! No problems!

This morning I copied several test sites from the Web to Joomla Server and now feel empowered! What freedom!

I AM SOMEBODY!!!

Well, I guess it's not that big of a boost to my ego, but I'm very impressed with Joomla Server. Now I don't have to buy another domain to test/build a site.

Best of all, it's free! Can you believe it? Check it out!

dave

UPDATE: 24 hours later I have downloaded JSAS (Joomla Stand Alone Server). Comments found below.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Joomla Server & JSAS - WOW!

• I agree Dave. This is by far the best of the bunch and the easiest to use! Glad you had no troubles running it.

Mike

• Sounds great, I am looking forward to test this out.

Do you have a url for the download ?
    • My company site
      Vedi Design - Joomla CMS

• Robert,

BROKEN LINK REMOVED

Cheers,

Mike
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Kat05.
    • Bob Ateah
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla Server & JSAS - WOW!

• I've been using JSAS (Joomla Stand Alone Server) for quite some time and it works very well - I'll have a look at RJS, I too noticed it at the Joomla extensions page.

:)
    • The member formerly known as Roland Deschain
      After your question is solved, please Edit your original post and choose the Solved message icon, thank you!

• Ravenswood Joomla Server

Yep...!!! This is working very well, the best one I ever have used..
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• I spent most of the morning (off on Labor Day) downloading my Dev sites and will now work on them using Joomla Server - Yippee! Mostly I'm just playing right now - but when nother serious job comes, just look out!

OK, ready? Put your thumb and second fingers together, roll your eyes back into your head, let your jaw drop open, take deep breath and say, "Joommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmla!"

Of course I backed up everything before I started, just in case. Joomla Dev will never be the same!

dave
    • Barbara

• Thank you Dave

very very very nice post

just getting ready to install it

was thinking

for online experimentation purposes dave (excuse me bad habit of typing in just lowercase)

why not just make a subdomain (directory) from your main domain

subdomain.yourdomain.com

most hosting packages include this feature --

just a thought ;)

and thanks for saving me from installing a lamp or amp

barb
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• I use sub-domains, Barbara. Actually, I have 6 right now - plus three dedicated dev sites. I do most of my experimenting and dev on the sub-domains.

dave :)
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Roland Deschain wrote:
      I've been using JSAS (Joomla Stand Alone Server) for quite some time and it works very well - I'll have a look at RJS, I too noticed it at the Joomla extensions page.

:)

Wow! Now I have two Joomla Server configurations. The Joomla Serve uses virtual drive W: and I set JSAS to drive Y:

I haevn't really used JSAS yet, but it seems like a very nice setup. Easy to install, that's all I know, so far. I'm impressed! More comment tomorrow.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds