Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

TGZ file?

• TGZ file?

Posted 18 years 4 weeks ago
    • Hello All

I have tried searching for the answer to this, how do I upack this TGZ file?
    • Last Edit: 18 years 4 weeks ago by damo.
  • Re: TGZ file?

• OK sorted out. On windows you need to unzip it TWICE. Nothing more to see here, move along please.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: TGZ file?

• Just fyi, TGZ is the same as tar.gz, which is a unix format which actually is two things, something.tar has no compression, tar stands for tape-archive (very old name), and it basically means bundle a bunch of files up into 1 file. something.tar.gz means its tar'ed first, then gzipped, which is a pretty darn good compression. On 'nix you use gunzip to uncompress this not unzip. Anyway winzip and many other 3rd party apps just hides all this from you and opens them anyway :) Compression is actually better with tgz than zip, and also it can keep user and file permission information which zip does not.

Anyway, know you know more than you ever wanted to :)

• No time for lessons, Andy! Get back to work!!! April's almost HERE! :D ;) :D ;)Andy Miller wrote:
      Just fyi, TGZ is the same as tar.gz, which is a unix format which actually is two things, something.tar has no compression, tar stands for tape-archive (very old name), and it basically means bundle a bunch of files up into 1 file. something.tar.gz means its tar'ed first, then gzipped, which is a pretty darn good compression. On 'nix you use gunzip to uncompress this not unzip. Anyway winzip and many other 3rd party apps just hides all this from you and opens them anyway :) Compression is actually better with tgz than zip, and also it can keep user and file permission information which zip does not.

Anyway, know you know more than you ever wanted to :)
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: TGZ file?

• sheesh i was just taking a break! :)

• Next time you take a break, do something more constructive... like

http://miniclip.com/paintball.htm

I would ban myself in a fit of logic for spamming; but Kevin already said move along to something else!
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Posted 18 years 3 weeks ago
    • Thanks Andy :)

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds