Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

MC 2.5 wiped out our customized settings and more...

• MC 2.5 wiped out our customized settings and more...

Posted 12 years 1 month ago
    • After installing the updated MC 2.5 via the installer (since it wouldn't via the J2.5 updater), all of our custom presets have been deleted. Is there a DB table we can restore from to get them back? We had about 20 of them for this client.
  • Re: MC 2.5 wiped out our customized settings and more...

• Tried to uninstall this version and it left the modules and plugins installed so now all you get is an apache 500 error! Sheesh.. please test this stuff.

• Eric Caldwell wrote:
      Tried to uninstall this version and it left the modules and plugins installed so now all you get is an apache 500 error! Sheesh.. please test this stuff.

Did you not backup before you applied the update?

You cant blame the devs as sometimes mistakes can happen, i would say its a fail on your part for not backing up your files!!

• Backing up 10gb of Joomla content isn't easy so no, we didn't. Now I have a backend that's not accessible and I can't figure out why.

• Just to let anyone know who is experiencing the same issues with the 500 error (and you get a white screen), I deleted the plugins/system/missioncontrol directory and got back in.

Alex makes a valid point about backups, for smaller sites but, for sites the size of this one, backing up 10gb of Joomla content and files isn't practical for installation of an admin template.

Looks like I'll be re-installing and re-adding all the clients quick icons.
    • Exirtis

Re: MC 2.5 wiped out our customized settings and more...

• Alex makes a valid point about backups, for smaller sites but, for sites the size of this one, backing up 10gb of Joomla content and files isn't practical for installation of an admin template.
      That would be a hairy thing, admittedly, but you don't have to backup the entire Joomla installation to get a reasonably safe point to start back from. Most of the key folders where things get added or changed with updates and installations aren't typically very large.

Off-hand, I'd say backing up the following folders (in addition to the configuration files in the Joomla root) would leave you in pretty decent shape for most circumstances, and shouldn't be too large to back up with some frequency:
      • administrator
      • components
      • includes
      • language
      • libraries
      • modules
      • plugins
      • templates

• Exirtis, thanks for the info.. will be good to capture this info for search engines. I have already discovered 2 more bug. One with a fix and the other is the wide menu no longer works.

@Alex, it's an @fail all around with the new bugs.. :)

• Eric Caldwell wrote:
      Exirtis, thanks for the info.. will be good to capture this info for search engines. I have already discovered 2 more bug. One with a fix and the other is the wide menu no longer works.

@Alex, it's an @fail all around with the new bugs.. :)

I do agree they should of tested it more for these errors not to happen but i hope you find a way to fix your issue :(

Regards
    • eharrold
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: MC 2.5 wiped out our customized settings and more...

• I have to agree with both sides on this issue - backup and better test coverage of the new releases.

I use Akeeba Backup because is has some great standard (free) features, and you can also setup restore points and custom backup rules for files and databases (joomla and external too).

Here is a link if it is ok to post links on the site:
      www.akeebabackup.com/products/46-softwar...4-akeeba-backup.html

• eharrold wrote:
      I have to agree with both sides on this issue - backup and better test coverage of the new releases.

I use Akeeba Backup because is has some great standard (free) features, and you can also setup restore points and custom backup rules for files and databases (joomla and external too).

Here is a link if it is ok to post links on the site:
      www.akeebabackup.com/products/46-softwar...4-akeeba-backup.html

I use this on all my websites.

Instant roll-back

Did that extension update break your site? No problem! Our System Restore Point technology will roll it back for you. No fuss, no mess.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds