Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Creating a menu item to pop-out window with external content

• DVS
    • Rocketeer

Creating a menu item to pop-out window with external content

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Hi DanG, you look like the man to be talking to on this issue!
      (referring to existing post www.rockettheme.com/forum/joomla-extensi...ternal-link?start=60 and following your advise on how to get help quicker by posting a new topic)

So nothing new it seems - like most people out there I just want to create a link item that opens in a popup fashion; link to external site... Almost want to ask why this hasn't been made a standard option yet, but I'm sure you have your reasons ;-p

Latest template downloaded earlier in the week so:
      Joomla version: 3.4.8
      Theme: Galatea (v1.0.0 / rt_galatea)

I tried deciphering the thread from the beginning where it tells about how the new Joomla strips the quotes"" (learned that the hard way).

So then I entered the code into DB directly (this is code I used in an earlier install version and had to create a module, link the menu item to the module and insert the code in the module):
      http://the.external.url/" data-rokbox="" data-rokbox-caption="<span style="font-size:20px;;">some text</span> :: <span style="font-size:20px;text-decoration:underline;">some more text</span>"

I'm doing something wrong cause it aint working 0_o
      I don't need anything fancy - just a default looking link to the external site will be fine without descriptions and what not in the popup window.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!
    • The following users have thanked you: DanG

• DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: Creating a menu item to pop-out window with external content

• Okay your the first one to spot this issue - I wrote than when only Gantry 4 was unavailable so it's not applicable to Gantry 5 ;)

Actually we have made this super-easy, as you've requested, in Gantry 5. Please see our Xenon template to see how to setup the " Popup Module (Particle) "
    • DVS
    • Rocketeer

• Hi DanG and thank you for the prompt responses...

I've had a nap in the mean time so can almost think again!!

Thogh I have to admit, looking at that content on the link supplied is still confusing 0_o

lol ;-p

However, I think what it describes is "how to create a pop-up login link"

So you will have a button "inside your website" that you can click, and a pop-up screen will appear asking your cridentials.

If so then great... But what I'm wanting to do is add a simple link to my already existing menu. Then when you click the link, a pop-up appears with external site content.

Like so:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Any shortcut for that?
    • DVS
    • Rocketeer

• I've installed the "modal" joomla extension for now (free version).

With it installed, all you need to do is:
      1 - under menu, create link to external URL (or whatever)
      2 - change the menu title by adding the modal syntax to the title: ex {modal}Menu Tile{/modal}

Hows that for quick and easy? :D

It would be nice though if one doesn't need to install other extensions for this. I mean, I'm a Rocket fan!! And there is RockBox.... right??
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• DVS wrote:
      Hi DanG and thank you for the prompt responses...

I've had a nap in the mean time so can almost think again!!

Thogh I have to admit, looking at that content on the link supplied is still confusing 0_o

lol ;-p

However, I think what it describes is "how to create a pop-up login link"

So you will have a button "inside your website" that you can click, and a pop-up screen will appear asking your cridentials.

If so then great... But what I'm wanting to do is add a simple link to my already existing menu. Then when you click the link, a pop-up appears with external site content.

Like so:

Any shortcut for that?

The Login is only an example of the Popup module. For my test I chose the custom HTML SiteMap module for my popup and this is what I got:

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds