Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Template Versioning

• Ken Lyle
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Template Versioning

Posted 16 years 7 months ago
    • Say I already have a rt_pixel on my site, version 1.01, and 1.1 comes out, but it is called rt_pixel, too.

IS there, indeed, a 1.1 of Pixel, because when I open the .xml file, it still says 1.01...

Are the steps to keep order on my site, and not overwrite my existing, stable template something like:
      Unpack the 1.1 locally
      Edit the XML to change the name, etc. to not conflict.
      Repack
      Upload to the Installer

Is there any simpler or better way?

Thanks,
      Ken
    • Last Edit: 16 years 7 months ago by Ken Lyle.
    • Robert W
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT

Re: Template Versioning

• I would create a new dir for it as well as change the name then upload otherwise you may risk overwriting your current template if 1.1 is an updated version
    • Ken Lyle
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thanks. The name that shows in the Joomla template list in the backend is whatever it says in the .xml file, right? So change that for clarity, for sure, then, yeah, the folder itself, so that nothing gets overwritten, then just FTP the files up...Is that it?

Thanks.
    • Robert W
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT

• sounds like it but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure on the name change part. Do you have a qa or test site you could install first? that would be your best bet. either that or you could backup your templates folder, then install and then see how it goes. if it doesnt work then just replace the templates folder from the backup.
  • Re: Template Versioning

• Its best to change the name in the .xml file, it avoids confusion and may causes errors :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds