• Jr. Rocketeer

roksprocket display / alias menu

Posted 5 years 3 months ago
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: roksprocket display / alias menu

• I'm not really sure I understand you but...

1. When you click on a link to an article Joomla will try to find a menu item that already "points" at that article and then opens the article in that menu item. If there is no menu item that "points" at the article then Joomla will use the "default" menu item (normally "home" menu item).
      2. the modules that are shown around the article are determined from seeing if they are assigned to the menu item that is used.

So, you have to check what menu item is actually being used to open the article and then see what modules have been assigned to that menu item. In some case you might for example have a "category blog" menu item that picks up all the articles (where you would want modules to show) and then it might be necessary to create specific "hidden" menu items that specifically reference article so that you can ensure modules are NOT assigned to that hidden menu item when you just show the full article.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • KB
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi Mark,

I already use a separated category for articles and it works fine if you click on the following link: biosbs.agentur-komet.de/angebote/experimente.html (And then please try: If you click on an article it is displayed separately)

But: When I change the menu ANGEBOTE into menu alias to EXPERIMENTE and you click on an article of the displayed mosaic view the article it is NOT displayed separately. All mosaic articles plus article „Experimentalangebote“ above are displayed too.

Hope I could explain the issue a little better …
      You can edit as Admin by yourself and change menu ANGEBOTE into an alias to menu EXPERIMENTE. I sent you the admin login ...

Regards,
      Klaus
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I'm still not sure I understand you...

I change the menu item as you said and clicked on one of the mosaic items, the menu item used to open the article is the closest one found to the article (.e.g. the "experminte" menu item) but the "angebote" menu item is aliased to that same menu item. If you look at the roksprocket menu item it is assigned to the "experimente" menu item and there that is why the roksrpocket shows on that page i.e. it's correct.

What am I missing?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • KB
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hello Mark,

it seems that I can not explain in words what I really mean. So I send you two screenshots:

In the following screenshot the one (example) article of mosaic module is displayed in the way should be. (But this is only the case if ANGEBOTE ist NOT an alias of EXPERIMENTE).
      I only want to display the related article: screenshot.net/l3e65uj

After setting ANGEBOTE as an Alias for EXPERIMENTE it leads to the fact that mosaic module and article in top-a are still displayed. Screenshot: screenshot.net/396vqs1

How can I manage this?

Regards,
      Klaus
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok I try and explain again a different way.

If you want an article to show on it's own without any other modules or content then the menu item used to show that article cannot have any other modules assigned to it. The best way to see what is going on here is to turn off your SEF in global configuration. Then you will see the underlying internal URLs that Joomla is using. In those URLs the item=99 is the article ID and the itemid=100 is the Menu item ID being used (obviously the numbers are just for illustration here).

Let's take the mosaic item "DNA auf der Sonnenbank" as the example (which points at the article with the same name). That article is in cateogy "experimente" which in turn is in another category "angebote". There is no specific menu item that points directly at the article, it is "menuless" or "orphaned" so Joomla uses the closest menu item it can find to be able to open that article. That menu item selected DOES have that other module assigned above the article.

This is normal Joomla behaviour for "orphaned" or "menuless" articles. To get around this use the hidden-menu technique.

Create a MENU called "hidden" (no need to create a module to place it anywhere). In the hidden menu, create a MENU ITEM for each of the orphaned articles (single article type) and make sure these menu items are published. Now the hidden menu won't appear on any of your pages, but, the articles will now open in their own page.

So, if you now just as a test create a "hidden" menu and in that create a "single article" type menu item that points specifically to that "DNA auf der Sonnenbank" article you will find that the article opens in it's own page because the article is no longer "orphaned" or "menuless".

I hope that is clearer for you.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds