Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Migrating from old template to Gantry Modulus (1.5)

• chesfam

Migrating from old template to Gantry Modulus (1.5)

Posted 12 years 10 months ago
    • Hi There-

I have a web site that is currently using an old RT template (Solar Sentinal) and we want to use Gantry template Modulus. I don't have the technical expertise to have a complete dev site and our site is being updated several times a day. What is the best way to set up the new template without having to take the site down - which since I am working in Gantry for the first time, might take me a while. Is there a way to see my changes while the site is offline and see what it is doing with the module positions? I tried adding new Gantry modules and leaving them unpublished until I switch over, but the positions are not there without the Gantry template being the default one. Is there a way to have the Gantry positions in the modules WITHOUT having it be the default template? Even that would help me greatly. We are at ChesapeakeFamily.com. Thanks!

-Heather
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: Migrating from old template to Gantry Modulus (1.5)

Posted 12 years 10 months ago
    • Hi, I hear what you're saying, it's tricky. The way I do it is to set up a local install on your computer, that way you can run a copy of your site on your computer that you can work on as long as you like. You can use MAMP on Mac / XAMMP or WAMPserver on windows. It's really not that hard to set up, there are thousands of articles online about how to do it. Just make a copy of your site and database and work away. When you're done, upload the files and replace the database.

If that's not an option, and you need to work when the site is offline, just go to the actual website address, not the administrator, and log in there. You'll be able to see the site even though it's offline. Basically, that's the only other way to do it as changes made to template assignments and module positions are stored in the database. You can either do it online or try the local method. Hope that helps.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds