Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED: Use background image instead of color

• SOLVED: Use background image instead of color

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • I found another thread that explained how to use a custom background image for the header in Gantry, but when I edit the style1.css and add
      #rt-header {background:url(../images/header-bg.jpg) no-repeat;}

the background image works, but is shifted to the left of the page. Any advice on how to center it with the rest of the page is appreciated.
    • Last Edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Randy Way.
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: SOLVED: Use background image instead of color

• Can you please provide a link to your site so I can take a closer look?

Please check the Top Tips for Support for the info we need to provide the quickest and best response.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: SOLVED: Use background image instead of color

• Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• Thanks for the link. You have to use x-y coordinates to position your background property, they go in between the url and the repeat property like so
      #rt-header {background:url(../images/header-bg.jpg) 50% 0 no-repeat;}
      The first number is the horizontal position, in this case 50% will be the middle, and the second it the vertical position, 0 puts it at the top. You can use percentages or pixel values. Hope that helps.

• Thanks! that helped. But the header image seem to be shifted to the right of the rest of the page by 2 pixels or so. The header image is 960px by 155px. Any ideas on why it doesn't line up perfectly?
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• Try putting your image inside of #rt-header .rt-container, instead of #rt-header. The issue with putting it in any of the base elements is they have no defined width, if I increase or decrease my browser window it lines up, or gets off. The 50% in #rt-header is relative to the width of the browser window. .rt-container has a set width of 960px. Try this instead:
      #rt-header .rt-container {background:url(../images/header-bg.jpg) 50% 0 no-repeat;}

• When I do that, the header image disappears completely and only the background tile is visible. I did notice that before I made the code change, it seemed t only show up in Chrome with the image shifted by a pixel or two. IE and Firefox look perfect. It may just be an issue with Chrome. If it is, i can live with that.

• SAfari also displays the image off center by a pixel, unless the browser window size is adjusted.

• here is the entire stylesheet
      /**
       * @version   1.21 October 20, 2011
       * @author    RocketTheme http://www.rockettheme.com
       * @copyright Copyright (C) 2007 - 2011 RocketTheme, LLC
       * @license   http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html GNU/GPLv2 only
       */

/* Core */
      body {background: url(../images/fabric_plaid.png) !important;}
      #rt-header .rt-container {background:url(../images/header-bg.jpg) 50% 0 no-repeat;} , #rt-bottom {color: #aaa;}
      .rt-container {background: #fff;} 
      a:hover {color: #000;}
      #rt-footer, #rt-copyright {color: #ddd;}
      #rt-sidebar-a {background-color: #e0e0e0;}
      #rt-sidebar-b {background-color: #e9e9e9;}
      #rt-sidebar-c {background-color: #f0f0f0;}
      #gantry-viewswitcher {margin: 0 auto 1em;position: relative;}

/* Navigation - Core */
      #rt-menu ul.menu li a, .menutop.theme-fusion li.root > .item, .menu-type-splitmenu .menutop.theme-splitmenu li .item {color: #fff;}
      .menutop.theme-fusion li.parent.root > .item span, .menu-type-splitmenu .menutop.theme-splitmenu li.parent .item span {background: url(../images/menus/menutop-daddy.png) 100% 50% no-repeat;}

/* Navigation - Hovers */
      #rt-menu ul.menu li a:hover, .menutop.theme-fusion li.root > .item:hover, .menutop.theme-fusion li.active.root.f-mainparent-itemfocus > .item, .menutop.theme-fusion li.root.f-mainparent-itemfocus > .item, .menu-type-splitmenu .menutop.theme-splitmenu li:hover > .item {background: #444;color: #fff;}

/* Navigation - Active */
      #rt-menu ul.menu li.active a, #rt-menu ul.menu li.active a:hover, .menutop.theme-fusion li.root.active > .item, .menutop.theme-fusion li.root.active > .item:hover, .menu-type-splitmenu .menutop.theme-splitmenu li.active .item {background: #fff;color: #000;}

/* Navigation - Dropdowns */
      .menutop.theme-fusion .fusion-submenu-wrapper {background: #444;}
      .menutop.theme-fusion .fusion-submenu-wrapper.level3, .menutop.theme-fusion .fusion-submenu-wrapper.level4, .menutop.theme-fusion .fusion-submenu-wrapper.level5, .menutop.theme-fusion .fusion-submenu-wrapper.level6 {background: #515151;}
      .menutop.theme-fusion ul li > .item {color: #fff;}
      .menutop.theme-fusion ul li > .item:hover, .menutop.theme-fusion ul li.f-menuparent-itemfocus > .item {background: #333;color: #ccc;}
      .menutop.theme-fusion ul li > .daddy span {background: url(../images/menus/dropdown-daddy.png) 100% 50% no-repeat;}
      .menutop.theme-fusion .fusion-grouped ol li > .item {background: url(../images/menus/menu-arrow.png) 5px 50% no-repeat;}
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• I see what's happening, I think there is a color chooser that sets the header background and it's set to transparent? Either way, that is overriding your background image, just add !important to the end like:
      #rt-header .rt-container {background:url(../images/header-bg.jpg) 50% 0 no-repeat !important;}
      That should work.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds