Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

New Gantry Change Reverts Previous Change in Layout

• New Gantry Change Reverts Previous Change in Layout

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • Site: trupenny.com/spa

Issue: The subsequent change I make to the Gantry layout reverts the previous change back to the factory default for that module position.

Example:
      First, I change the showcase position layout for 3 published modules from 4|4|4 to 5|3|4 and apply the change. Confirmed working ( trupenny.com/spa/index.php/members ). Next, I change the bottom position for 2 published modules from 6|6 to 7|5 and apply the change. Confirmed working ( trupenny.com/spa/index.php/events ). But when I return to the page corresponding to the first change ( trupenny.com/spa/index.php/members ), it has reverted back to 4|4|4.

My solution: use the "custom settings" for each menu item to allow a different layout than what the Gantry defaults seem to revert to.

Maybe I am confused, but I assumed that if I wanted something different than the defaults, then I could make the change and my new change would become the new "default" for all pages. Does modifying the default layout require me to readjust *all* layout adjustments every time I want to make a change? I'm sorry if I sound confused...

Thanks!

[Edited incorrect URL address]
    • cdavis411
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: New Gantry Change Reverts Previous Change in Layout

• Hello,

When you change the default settings it will alter the settings for all menu items, except the specifically altered settings for menu items that have "per menu item settings" in effect.

So to clarify, if one has changed the showcase layout slider for menu item "X" and then later returns to change the default main body & showcase layout, item "X" will take on the changes for the main body but will retain the custom settings for the showcase layout.

This means to change the showcase layout for item "X" then one will need to either alter those settings with the per menu item option in Gantry or remove the custom settings in Gantry for item "X".
  • Re: New Gantry Change Reverts Previous Change in Layout

• cdavis411 wrote:
      When you change the default settings it will alter the settings for all menu items, except the specifically altered settings for menu items that have "per menu item settings" in effect.

I changed the default setting for one module position (showcase). Applied the change. Then changed the default setting for another module position (bottom) only to have the first change to the showcase position revert to the (factory) default setting. Since every time I made a new change the previous change would revert, I was forced to use the "per menu item settings" if I wanted any changes to remain. I would love for this to be resolved since being forced to use the "per menu item settings" for every change is confusing and a logistical nightmare for applying a new layout change site-wide.

Does that make sense?
    • cdavis411
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• If you like you can PM me super admin and FTP login info so wee can get a closer look.
    • cdavis411
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Hi,

Thanks for the login info. Most of the folders and files in your joomla install are reporting as "unwritable" even though the files are set to permissions = 644 and folders = 755 (which is the correct permissions level.

This seems like a file "ownership" issue. Please ask your web host to check the file ownership.
      A CHOWN may be needed.
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
  • Re: New Gantry Change Reverts Previous Change in Layout

• cdavis411 wrote:
      This seems like a file "ownership" issue. Please ask your web host to check the file ownership.
      A CHOWN may be needed.
      2010-10-21_231944.jpg

I was under the impression that enabling FTP would get around this issue? If I CHOWN the files so that Joomla can edit/write to the files/folders will I lose the ability to access those folders using my FTP user?

I apologize that I do not understand everything you are saying. I really appreciate your help!!
    • cdavis411
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Have you talked with your host? I am taking that advice from personal experience. Early on in my Joomla adventures my host had some security measures in place that would CHOWN files and folders to httpd and that caused all kinds of permissions issues. files were writable but would not take changes from me either through FTP or Joomla.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds