Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Re: GANTRY ADMIN - troubleshooting tips

• Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: GANTRY ADMIN - troubleshooting tips

Posted 13 years 5 months ago
    • this topic will explain how you can troubleshoot issues in the gantry admin (gantry template parameters) such as non-working sliders or buttons, not-loading of parameters, broken layout, etc.

what version of gantry do i have installed?

you can always check the version of gantry that is installed on your site by going to
      > extensions > install/uninstall > components > gantry...

which version of gantry is the latest one?

the most recent version of gantry can always be found here:
      code.google.com/p/gantry-framework/downloads/list

when and why do i need to update gantry?

if you are using an older version of gantry and it is working fine for you with all the gantry templates that you have currently installed on your site, then you can always keep using that version. an exception would be if the update is addressing any security-related issues, such as the gantry 3.0.11 release.

if you are using an older version of gantry and you want to install and use a newer gantry template on the same site, then you have to update gantry. every new template release is always built with the latest version of gantry at the time, so there are minimum requirements that you should keep in mind.

another reason to update gantry would be if you are having any gantry-related issues on your site. if you are using an older version, you can check the gantry changelogs to find out what issues have been addressed and what features have been added (these may apply only to certain gantry templates and not all)
      www.gantry-framework.org/news

how do i update gantry?

that's fairly easy and takes only a few minutes (if at all)
      if you currently use version 2.5, 3.0 or 3.1, you can simply download the gantry_joomla_framework-3.1.x file and install it to your site. it is not necessary to uninstall the existing gantry component before updating gantry. also get the corresponding gantry_joomla_system_plugin-3.1.x file downloaded and installed (this file is not required, but good to have anyways, it clears cache automatically when anything gets changed in the gantry backend.)

if you currently use version 2.0, make sure to follow these upgrade guidelines:
      www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=33..._v=viewtopic#p473086

how do i solve issues that appear after a gantry update?

if your site broke after a gantry update, you can always downgrade to a previous version that was working fine for you. (make sure to remember the last working version you were using)
      all previous versions of gantry 3.0 and 3.1 can be found here:
      code.google.com/p/gantry-framework/downl...dCount+Type+Platform

to downgrade, simply uninstall the existing gantry via > extensions > install/uninstall > components > gantry...
      then download the file gantry_joomla_framework-3.x.x file and install the version of your choice to your site.
      (please make sure to use a gantry version that is compatible with your gantry template/s and always check the minimum gantry version requirement of the newest gantry template that you are using on that particular site)

if you do not want to downgrade gantry and want to find out what exactly is causing your issue, please follow these steps:

check your server settings!

1. > help > system info > directory permissions...
      all directories need to be writable in order for joomla and gantry to work correctly.
      you can change permissions for example via your ftp program
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

2. > help > system info > system info...
      check your version of php, you need at least version 5.2
      if you have a previous version, ask your host to give you a free upgrade
      php.net/ChangeLog-4.php
      php.net/ChangeLog-5.php

3. > help > system info > php settings...
      open_basedir = is usually off, if enabled and wrongly configured issues may be related to your open_basedir settings

4. > help > system info > php information...
      cURL support needs to be enabled

5. > help > system info > php information...
      dom support needs to be enabled

if all these settings have been checked and no issues been found, then the following steps should be taken:

check your joomla global configuration!

1. > site > global configuration > server...
      error reporting = maximum

2. > site > global configuration > server...
      ftp settings > if enabled, try to disable and vice versa, please note that ftp layer needs to be correctly configured if enabled

3. > site > global configuration > server...
      database prefix > is usually jos_, if you use a different prefix and have issues, please leave a comment that you are using a different prefix when posting for help so we can pay better attention.

get some more powerful tools for debugging!

we suggest that you use firefox version 3.6 and get the following free add-ons for further debugging:
      - firebug addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843/
      start firebug via the firefox menu > tools > firebug > open firebug...
      click the "console" tab in the firebug toolbar, then click the arrow next to "console".
      enable this and then refresh your page.
      - web developer addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60/
      display the toolbar via the firefox menu > view > toolbar > web developer...

now go to your template parameters as usual and check the whole screen from top to bottom if any error messages are being displayed that reveal more detailed info about the possible reasons...
      if you have not found any relevant threads regarding this error in via our forum search, then seek help in the forum and please copy/paste the error messages for the rockettheme team.

check the top right of your screen for the web developer toolbar error console or open it directly via the firefox menu > tools > error console...
      if you have not found any relevant threads regarding this error in via our forum search, then seek help in the forum and please copy/paste the error messages for the rockettheme team.

check the bottom right of your screen if the firebug error console shows any errors...

hope this helps!
      if you have any suggestions to make this tutorial better, please reply!
      if you have any gantry problems on your site or any questions, please start a new topic!
      thanks!
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
  • Re: Re: GANTRY ADMIN - troubleshooting tips

Posted 13 years 4 months ago
    • I found a problem with gauntry fonctionnalities(template interface edition) when component adminBarDocker 1.1.4 is installed. Desinstall and Gantry work again. :cheesy:

• Hi Kat -
      Thanks for this post. I have a question - My directory permissions look just like the one in your example where every directory is unwritable. It seems that is my problem. You say I can change permissions via my FTP program but I'm not sure what you mean. How can I make all my directories writable?

Thanks for any help,
      Seth

• Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Re: GANTRY ADMIN - troubleshooting tips

• hi seth,

glad this post was helpful! :)

• 1. > help > system info > directory permissions...
      If I switch this to 777, its writable. But is this not a problem for the savety?

Gr, Ed.
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• risdi
    • Rocketeer

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • ka3media
    • Rocketeer

• Hello

i figure out a problem using gantry with the Template "Quantive" version (1.5.5).

It works fine with Gantry version 3.0.11, all up from 3.1.x it is not possible to work with the template admin, no feature can be set....

i checked all given tips, everything is configured right!

BUT: I use customized database prefix. Could this be a problem for Gantry from 3.1.X

Thank you for your support :)
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• hi there,

you could try a test install with the latest quantive rocketlauncher and a new database using the default table prefix. if things work there, then the prefix could be the problem.

kat :)

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds