Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Helium 5.4.36 BAD style update

• Helium 5.4.36 BAD style update

Posted 3 years 6 months ago
    • Preface:

1. I'm sure it's theme fault, because I updated Gantry on 2 sites (one with updated Helium, one with untouched Hadron) and get headache only with Helium
      2. This is The Very Bad Style (tm) of workstyle, because it can easy nullify any level of trust

Face:

After yesterday's update of Gantry+Helium to 5.4.36 I discovered all my design-related changes are destroyed (I'm not the complete idiot and don't touch anything in Helium directly):
      namely - all my custom addditions inside `gantry-media://` folder (additional nodes and media-files) (btw, I had "Use Grav Images Folder" - No) are silently deleted
      WFT, dudes?! I do not ask "pas d'excuses" or explanation for what reason this happened (I repaired all my losses and moved them to a safer place away from your naughty pens) and just want to remind: ass-driven-development is ugly methodology, reputation is easy to destroy, but very difficult to restore afterwards. The fact that Helium is a free theme and it seems that no one owes anything to anyone with it is a false feeling that does not change anything in objective reality: "ADD" reduces ALL previous bonuses you got and the desire to have monetary relations with you to solve practical business-tasks, sorry.
    • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Helium 5.4.36 BAD style update

• Sorry but it's a bit difficult to understand what files precisely have been overwritten by your update.

All custom styling should be done in a custom CSS file so for Helium template that would be ROOT/user/data/gantry5/themes/g5_helium/scss/custom.scss If you made your styling changes there then that should not be overwriten by template updates http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/adding-a-custom-style-sheet . You mentioned gantry-media:// this is a symbolic link to multiple locations so I'd like to know what file you specifically changed? If you change images in gantry image picker then that add files in a different location so that they are not overwritten by updates, simlarly and changed files are also put in a different location. If you just change our original template files (not through the image picker) then, yes, a template update will overwrite those files - you should never, ever, change any of our original template files or core gantry files. Should you have a requirement to do this then there are methods of overriding gantry/template files that will not be overwritten by template updates:

http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/advanced/file-overrides
      http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/overriding-particle-settings#overriding-particle-source-files

To learn how to override a particle in Gantry 5 please see our documentation here http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/overriding-particle-settings#overriding-particle-source-files .

So sorry you've had an issue with the update, If you can give me more specific information I'll be happy to investigate this for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Helium 5.4.36 BAD style update

• Your captcha drive me nuts, but I'll try to overcome it

• MrT wrote:
      Sorry but it's a bit difficult to understand what files precisely have been overwritten by your update.

All custom styling should be done in a custom CSS
      Yes, I know it and I follow these rules and haven't any unpredicted results (before this case)
      MrT wrote:
      If you can give me more specific information I'll be happy to investigate this for you
      Well, what and how I did in the theme's tree before the update ("in full details" and "step by step", maybe in set of messages)

• 1. Upload into `/user/themes/g5_helium/images/testimonials/` and `/user/themes/g5_helium/images/header` files `testimonial.jpg and `header.jpg` respectively

2. Create directory `logo` in `/user/themes/g5_helium/images/` and upload `logo-top.png` and `logo.bottom.png` into this dir

This was done this way because image-picker didn't allowed me to select files above `gantry-media://`, rooted to `user/themes/g5_helium/images/` AFAICU and I must to think as "end-user" in this use-case[/i

• 3. Upload into `/user/images/g5_helium/above/` 3 files:
      • articles.jpg
      • notes.jpg
      • plans.jpg

4. In admin-backend on Gantry's Style tab `/admin/gantry/configurations/default/styles` for Base Outline replace for "Header Styles" and "Testimonials Styles" Background Image parameter by selecting images, uploaded at step 1

5. In admin-backend on Gantry's Layout tab `/admin/gantry/configurations/default/layout` for Base Outline override in "Logo" particles in Navigation and Footer sections Image parameter by selecting images, uploaded at step 2

6. In admin-backend on Gantry's Layout tab `/admin/gantry/configurations/home/layout` for Home Outline edit "Contentcubes" particle. Noticeable and relevant thing is only one: replacement of Image for each item by selecting images, uploaded at step 3

These are all the actions taken by me, as you can see - nothing against the rules of "fair play"

Facts established after theme update
      1. All my operations from steps 1-2 undoed (files and directory) removed
      2. All my changed in admin-backend settings from steps 4-6 are left intact as I defined them

Expected behavior of updater
      DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING THAT IS NOT THE THEME'S OBJECT "OUT OF THE BOX"!!! Period.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Helium 5.4.36 BAD style update

• Ok, so I followed you instructions to the letter. Then I did the theme update shown in GRAV admin and NONE of the customisation changes were overwritten, all the added files/folder remained in place and all the customisation made on the layout and styles tab remained in place too.

Please try this again for yourself, if you can reproduce it then please give me the steps again because follwing the steps just provided did not reproduce the issue that you reported. Incidentally, how are you actually doing the theme update?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds