Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Font stacks not working in core Gantry template

• Font stacks not working in core Gantry template

Posted 13 years 10 months ago
    • I have been struggling to get the font stacks to work in a current website for several days, so finally I did a fresh install of Joomla 1.5.17 with sample data, installed the Gantry framework 2.5.6 and finally the Gantry template 2.5.6. No other plugins or components other than the above mentioned have been installed, the only change that has been made is to the controller.php file in /administrator/com_templates so that it correctly changes permissions to 0644 instead of 0555. It doesn't seem to matter which font stack I select I am only getting Arial. All other parameters are working fine, it seems to be just the 'Fonts' that isn't. I am attaching the gantry-diagnostics file along with a screen capture. As you can see from the 'params.ini' file the current font stack selected is 'palatino', and as can be clearly seen from the screen capture the only thing being displayed is 'arial'. I have cleared my local browser cache as well as made sure all Joomla caching is off. CentOS 5.4 64-bit, Joomla 1.5.7, PHP 5.2.13, MySQL 5.0.90. I am stumped. I have downloaded the 'gantry.css' file that is being displayed in Firefox via the Web Developer toolbar and you can also see that in the 'Typography' section, 'Helvetica, arial, san-serif' is being served up. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Re: Font stacks not working in core Gantry template

• So can anyone else confirm this problem? Don't get me wrong, it's not that I am feeling like the 'Lone Ranger' here ;-)

• So does anybody have any idea as to where I would start looking to fix this problem?

• I don't mean to be impatient, but I made the original post a week and a half ago and have had no help. Do I need to pay someone to look into this?
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Font stacks not working in core Gantry template

• hi scott,

sorry for the late reply.

if you would like to use palatino, then you can apply a change to gantry.css as seen in the screenshot.

hope it helps, kat :)
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany

• Kat,

thanks for the reply but know how to change the font stacks in the CSS. I have a site that I am building for a client and they (for some unknown reason) want to be able to change the fonts in the different menu areas of the site. Now I could do this by using 'page-id's' but it would be much easier to do this with Gantry. So I am simply trying to find out why it isn't working. For some reason the .ini file is not getting changed when the change is made in the template manager. All other changes are working fine but the fonts.
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• hi scott,

ok now i think i know why it does not work.

if you are using for example style1, then please add the following css to your style1.css
      .font-family-optima {font-family: Optima, Lucida, 'MgOpen Cosmetica', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif;}
      .font-family-geneva {font-family: Geneva, Tahoma, "Nimbus Sans L", sans-serif;}
      .font-family-helvetica {font-family: Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif;}
      .font-family-lucida {font-family: "Lucida Grande",Helvetica,Verdana,sans-serif;}
      .font-family-georgia {font-family: Georgia, sans-serif;}
      .font-family-trebuchet {font-family: "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif;}
      .font-family-palatino {font-family: "Palatino Linotype", "Book Antiqua", Palatino, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;}
      body.font-family-georgia.font-size-is-xlarge {font-size: 16px;line-height: 1.8em;}
      body.font-family-georgia.font-size-is-large {font-size: 15px;line-height: 1.8em;}
      body.font-family-georgia.font-size-is-default {font-size: 13px;line-height: 1.8em;}
      body.font-family-georgia.font-size-is-small {font-size: 12px;line-height: 1.7em;}
      body.font-family-georgia.font-size-is-xsmall {font-size: 11px;line-height: 1.7em;}
      then it should work fine.

kat :)

• Thanks, that solved the problem. So why would these 'styles' not be included in the Gantry core stylesheet? It seems that every Gantry template I have seen uses 'font selection'.

I would point out that the last line in your CSS (.rt-container, #rt-sidebar-a, #rt-sidebar-b, #rt-sidebar-c {background: transparent;}) not only is not necessary but conflicts with styles already present in 'style1.css, style2.css, etc.'. Unless of course you 'build' the ability to choose the colors in these areas in the Gantry template editor in the administrative end. But currently the core template does not support choosing those colors from the admin side.

Also I noticed that the index.php file includes both the template.css and joomla.css files in the 'addstyles' array, but neither of those are included in the template files. As a side note it would probably be better to include the css specifiers that you mention above in the template.css file.
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• hi scott,

glad to know this helped. you are right about the last line of code, i deleted it from my previous post.

i have already asked the team to take a closer look at this.

kat :)

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds