Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry - Sidebar-a appears on the wrong side

• SOLVED Gantry - Sidebar-a appears on the wrong side

Posted 11 years 8 months ago
    • Solved
      This is a helpful post for those seeking an answer to a gantry related idiosyncrasy regarding the main conent area and the sidebar positions.

Gantry 4.0.4
      Kirigami 1.2
      Joomla 2.5.6

Situation:

You have two sidebar positions set in gantry to display or appear on the left and right side of the main content area. Sidebar-a to the left. Sidebar-b to the right. SB(a) - MB - SB(b). When you have a module published in the sidebar-a and sidebar-b positions then everything works as expected. However, when you don't have any modules published in the sidebar-b position to the right, sidebar-a flips or moves to the right side of the content area. You would expect it to stay on the left side.

Solutions:

Option 1: Create a blank custom html module in the sidebar-b position on these pages. Downfall-it can narrow your content area as if you had a module in the sidebar-b position. (Scratch this option out - better to create an alternate template style for a single sidebar layout to the left, then assign the few pages with only modules in one sidebar to this template style)

Option 2: In the template gantry layout settings, you should notice that in the settings for the main content area there are no sidebars displayed in the slide area, though you may have set them earlier for the two sidebar situation mentioned. It seems like it didn't save your previous settings, but as mentioned, it still places modules in sidebar-a and sidebar-b in their correct places to the left and right of the content area; so it seems to save your preferences just fine.

A suggestion I read on google groups said, in the template layout settings section for the mainbody/sidebar positions, set the slider layouts option for 1 sidebar, then move slider so that sidebar-a is on the left. save and close. the sidebar-a should be on the left where no modules are published in sidebar-b. it's funny but it will keep the two sidebar layout you chose earlier when there are modules published in both sidebars, but when you have modules only in the left sidebar, it will default to the new setting and keep your modules where they should be.

As mentioned in some of the following posts, if you want to BE SURE, you can create a template variation and assign the menu items to that template style with a single sidebar layout.

The reason for sharing this google post is that i would of thought that with no modules published in a sidebar-b position;

given that you previously set a SB(a) - MB -SB(b) layout,

sidebar-a, SB(a), modules would remain on the LEFT SIDE. However, they kept getting flipped to the RIGHT side. :)

Hope this helps. i looked for a long time and finally found this obscure post. Here's the link.
      groups.google.com/group/gantry-framework...2Fmonth%2F2012-01%3F
    • Last Edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Shout Out Advertising.
    • "SideKick Dan" - Web Design SideKick, Making Businesses Into Heros.
      Need Help? Ask me! http://dannyleary.com
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry - Sidebar-a appears on the wrong side

• Hey Nanci,

Thanks for the reply :)

Assuming i understand what you're saying correctly, I'd have to say I actually kind of think that it is an issue with gantry although i may very well be making some mistake :)

On the site, i don't have any alternate template versions or menu assignments for alternates. I read a few posts when i was initially searching that mentioned some ideas to this end, but they didn't apply since i was using the same master template for all menu items.

I've never really had this issue (or at least noticed it before) and have loved working with rt themes for a long while now. In fact, I really hate to use anything else :)

In the master template, I set the template positions layout slider and number for a SB(a) - MB - SB(b) situation as usual. When modules were published in both sidebar positions for any given page, they displayed as usual. But when no modules were published to the right side of the main content area in the sidebar, instead of collapsing and allowing the main content to enlarge to fill the right side of the template, the sidebar-a modules got flipped to the right side.

I've never had an issue before and started noticing it initially when clicking on some sub-component pages where no module was assigned for the right or sidebar-b position. It was kind of weird and unusual.

Let me know what you think if you have a second :)

• Hey Nanci,

Thanks again for the reply :) the rt team is always on the ball :)

I found the solution to the issue in that google post by some rt users and it worked pretty good. I used the second option i explained in the first post.

basically, the gantry slider for the main content and sidebars does not display the settings i set. the slider options seem to disappear when i save&close, then reopen the template no matter what modules are published in the various sidebar positions. so in the backend, after setting the preferences and there being multiple pages with modules in both sidebars, the slider in the template layout controls shows just a mb area with no sidebars set. However, i know it is saving the preferences to the database, since the template maintains the sidebar layout i've chosen earlier.

basically in the past when i've wanted a sidebar on both sides of the content area, i just used the slider and published modules in both sides, in both sidebars a & b. Usually, even with this setting in the layout, when i have a page where i just happen to not want a module in sidebar-b to the right, the content area spills over into the sidebar-b position to the right (since it collapses with no module in it) and my sidebar-a modules stay to the left side of the content area. but for some reason, gantry keeps moving the sidebar-a position to the right side of the content area, where sidebar-b was. odd.

the google user mentioned that all i had to do was set the gantry to one sidebar to the left of the content area and save and close. the gantry would remember that when i had saved the layout for the two sidebar layout, it was a sb - mb - sb layout, but when i save it with the one sidebar option to the left, it would remember this setting when there happened to be just modules in the left-sidebar and not the right. it worked.

as you mentioned, normally you could have a master template layout for the sb - mb -sb layouts, then create a template version and assign it to a menu item where there is only one sidebar into a sb - mb layout. i do think this would be best way to handle these variations.

the thing that surprised me though was that i would think that with a sb(a) - mb - sb(b) layout, with no modules published in the sb(b) sidebar, it would collapse like other positions and the sb(a) normally to the left of the content would remain on that side. gantry keeps moving it to the right side for some weird reason.

(panting . . . ) sorry for the long post :) now for me to catch my breath :) lol

but.... i could really use help with this post i am having some trouble with and haven't got a response yet on ....

www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=61...64266&rb_v=viewtopic

Thanks Nanci :) I'm an rt user for life :)

• Yes, I think you understand correctly.
      In the master template, I set the template positions layout slider and number for a SB(a) - MB - SB(b) situation as usual. When modules were published in both sidebar positions for any given page, they displayed as usual. But when no modules were published to the right side of the main content area in the sidebar, instead of collapsing and allowing the main content to enlarge to fill the right side of the template, the sidebar-a modules got flipped to the right side.

If you set Sidebar-a, Main Body, Sidebar-b but there is no module assigned to Sidebar-b for a page, the default preview will be Main Body, with Sidebar-a to the right and Sidebar-b becomes collapsed.

Hence the reason you may need a template override if you want one page with a, mb, b and another page with a, mb.

Nanci 8)
    • Mark your threads as Solved. Please, Please, Please!
      Using FIREBUG will save you time and HELP you learn.
      Tips Tricks and Tutorial Links
      Security Tips and Joomla Version Info
      Style Tips and Code Snippets
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Gantry - Sidebar-a appears on the wrong side

Posted 11 years 7 months ago
    • Shout Out Advertising wrote:
      Situation:

You have two sidebar positions set in gantry to display or appear on the left and right side of the main content area. Sidebar-a to the left. Sidebar-b to the right. SB(a) - MB - SB(b). When you have a module published in the sidebar-a and sidebar-b positions then everything works as expected. However, when you don't have any modules published in the sidebar-b position to the right, sidebar-a flips or moves to the right side of the content area. You would expect it to stay on the left side.
      hi there,

the ONLY correct and also the easiest solution to this is to go to the gantry template settings > layouts > mainbody... click on the number 2 and move the slider until it says SA-MB. then save.
      the slider might be back to 3 positions but that does not matter at all.

on pages with modules in sidebar-a and sidebar-b, gantry will use whatever you have set under 3 positions. for example sa/mb/sb = 3/6/3
      on pages with modules in sidebar-a only, gantry will use whatever you have set under 2 positions. for example sa/mb = 4/8.

the reason why you are getting your sidebar-a on the right on pages where you have no sidebar-b module is most definitely a wrong setting of the slider for 2 positions.

you do NOT need to create any fake modules and you do NOT need to create any overrides in your situation. you can set the desired layout for 2 positions pages and 3 positions pages in the default master style of your template.

hope that makes sense. :)
    • The following users have thanked you: Clayton @ ShockoeStudios.com, Annemarie

• Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany

• @Kat05:
      thank for your excellent post. It seemed very strange that such a complicated solution was needed... you showed us that it wasn't. This thread was very helpful.

--
      Franz
    • Martin
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Gantry - Sidebar-a appears on the wrong side

• Happy that I found this topic. I was already searching for hours to find a solution for this. The Gantry manual is not clear about this.
      The explanation from Nancy was good...but after clearing the template cache everything went wrong again.

@Kat05:
      Thanks for answering this topic. I think it would be a good idea to put this in the Gantry documentation in the Layouts section and in the Template Tutorials and Guides.
      You agree?

Martin

Posted 11 years 5 months ago
    • Hi Kat,
      the ONLY correct and also the easiest solution to this is to go to the gantry template settings > layouts > mainbody... click on the number 2 and move the slider until it says SA-MB. then save.
      the slider might be back to 3 positions but that does not matter at all.

on pages with modules in sidebar-a and sidebar-b, gantry will use whatever you have set under 3 positions. for example sa/mb/sb = 3/6/3
      on pages with modules in sidebar-a only, gantry will use whatever you have set under 2 positions. for example sa/mb = 4/8.

the reason why you are getting your sidebar-a on the right on pages where you have no sidebar-b module is most definitely a wrong setting of the slider for 2 positions.

you do NOT need to create any fake modules and you do NOT need to create any overrides in your situation. you can set the desired layout for 2 positions pages and 3 positions pages in the default master style of your template.

I think I had the same problem as Shout out Advertising, but after trying your solution, I was left with another layout problem, I'll explain.

I needed a Sidebar-a - Mainbody - Sidebar-b layout (3-6-3) for all my pages.

I thought, like Shout out Advertising, that when there was no modules published in sidebar-b, that sidebar-a would stay to the left. I was wrong and my module published in sidebar-a just skip to the right.

That is where your solution came into play.

When you click on #2 to set the slider at sidebar-a - Mainbody (I used a 3-9), then save,
      my module in sidebar-a was at the left of my Mainbody, which is basically what i want.

Then I came back to check another page, where I wanted my 3 module layout to work (3-6-3).
      This page have nothing published in sidebar-a so, I was assuming that my sidebar-b was on the right of my mainbody because I had set my sidebar-a to the left in the 2 module layout.

Surprise, my modules published in sidebar-b skip to the left.

The only way to get my module in the right place was to create an override for one of the pages, in which I invert my 2 module layout.

If I resume this, i got my master template with a 2 module layout (sidebar-a - Mainbody (3-9)), and my override with another 2 module layout (Mainbody - sidebar-a (9-3)).

So technically, your solution worked for a part of the problem but not all of it. I think the real problem is that the 3 modules layout is missing something. When you set your Mainbody template to an (3-6-3), technically your sidebar-a or b should stay on his side if there's nothing in the other sidebar and instead, expand your Mainbody where the empty sidebar was.

Every post was useful but in my opinion, the 3 modules layout in the mainbody needs a little update to avoid these little float problems.

Christophe

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds