Welcome Guest! Login
2 items / $48.00 Checkout

Gantry error after moving site to different directory

• Re: Gantry error after moving site to different directory

Posted 11 years 2 months ago
    • I just encountered this very same issue when moving a site from a /dev/ folder to the accounts root. To fix this all I really had to do was clear all cache's. I think the specific ones were the Gantry caches. That is probably why reinstalling Gantry fixed it for Matheau

They can be cleared from the Joomla admin's control panel, which is still accessible as it is unaffected by Gantry. Once cleared the site should work again.

• joomlaservices wrote:
      I just encountered this very same issue when moving a site from a /dev/ folder to the accounts root. To fix this all I really had to do was clear all cache's. I think the specific ones were the Gantry caches. That is probably why reinstalling Gantry fixed it for Matheau

They can be cleared from the Joomla admin's control panel, which is still accessible as it is unaffected by Gantry. Once cleared the site should work again.

So did you clear the cache before moving? I wouldn't have been able to do it after moving because I couldn't get in to log in to the CP.

• No, you would want to clear the cache after you have moved the files to the new location. Did you make the appropriate path changes to your configuration file after you moved the files? You might also want to check your php.ini and .htaccess files to make sure you don't have any directory-specific instructions.

• Matheau Casner wrote:
      No, you would want to clear the cache after you have moved the files to the new location. Did you make the appropriate path changes to your configuration file after you moved the files? You might also want to check your php.ini and .htaccess files to make sure you don't have any directory-specific instructions.

I'll have to keep that in mind if it comes up again. When it happened to me I just kind of gave up on it for a couple days and when I tried again it worked for some reason. I hadn't cleared the cache, at least not that I remember, and definitely not after moving the files. I did update paths in the config file and as I recall there wasn't anything that needed to be changed in htaccess.

• The cache might have cleared on the server automatically during the days you were away. I've had similar experiences. Glad it's working.
    • dawad89

Re: Gantry error after moving site to different directory

Posted 10 years 8 months ago
    • After you have moved the website in an other folder, you have to clear the cache in Gantry "Template manager" "Clear cache" (on the top right menu button).

Posted 10 years 5 months ago
    • I had the same issue today - I was ready to go live with my new Joomla (2.5) site, so I moved it out of the Content folder into the public_html folder, and suddenly none of the pages worked. I then uninstalled and reinstalled Gantry, but no change, and I then deleted the cache - this made the homepage display OK, but none of the other links work, they all say "page not found". Any more thoughts would be appreciated. The homepage link (which is the only page working) is at gymnasticshypnosis.com/ Thanks!
      Craig T
    • Last Edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Craig Townsend.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 10 years 4 months ago
    • Tip: it's best to start a new thread rather than resurrecting one that is 3 months old and in the SOLVED thread forum - in this way you can be sure that your thread is in the MODS unanswered threads queue so that you will receive the speediest response.

When you want to move a site you should really use Akeeba backup and Akeeba Kickstart, in this way you can be sure the integrity between the files and the joomla database are maintained. You should always clear server cache after moving the site.

Nevertheless, If you have done a manual move you will then have to do:
      1. ensure log and tmp paths are correct still
      2. if you are using akeeba admin tools - ensure joomla root is correct in there
      3. clear server cache
      4. go through all your articles to ensure any links are specified correctly (not full paths)
      5. check you .htaccess file contents is still correct for the new location of your site (e.g. url rewriting). Of course when you move your site did you actually copy this file across? it's absence would cause 404's
      6. check joomla global configuration and check that url rewriting is enabled and that SEF is on.

If you would like me to check for you - Please would you PM URL, superuser id and pswd.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Many thanks Mark for those points. To my knowledge, these are the answers to those:
      * No, I do not use akeeba admin tools, though I probably should look into this.
      * I have cleared the server cache several times, and that did bring the homepage up successfully, though none of the other linked pages.
      * all links seem to be correct pointing towards the new directory
      * the .htaccess file's contents is still correct for the new location, and it copied across successfully.
      * URL rewriting is enabled, and SEF is on, in the joomla global configuration.

And yes, I would love for you to take a look at the site thanks, as I think my experience in this area is just not sufficient to get the site online. I tried unsuccessfully to PM you a few times the past few days, but the messages dont seem to have gone through (my first attempt at that), so not sure where to go from here.
      Regards,
      Craig
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• So, I checked your site. As you hadn't provided FTP details I installed exTplorer plugin so I could check your .htaccess file (this is a FREE extension - which you can just uninstall if you don't want it). When I checked the .htaccess file in you joomla root it has this content...
      Options -Indexes
      instead of this...
      ##
      # @package       Joomla
      # @copyright     Copyright (C) 2005 - 2013 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
      # @license       GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see LICENSE.txt
      ##

##
      # READ THIS COMPLETELY IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE!
      #
      # The line just below this section: 'Options +FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
      # with some server configurations.  It is required for use of mod_rewrite, but may already
      # be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
      # your .htaccess file.  If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to
      # beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's.  If they work,
      # it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here.
      ##

## Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
      Options +FollowSymLinks

## Mod_rewrite in use.

RewriteEngine On

## Begin - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits.
      # If you experience problems on your site block out the operations listed below
      # This attempts to block the most common type of exploit `attempts` to Joomla!
      #
      # Block out any script trying to base64_encode data within the URL.
      RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode[^(]*\([^)]*\) [OR]
      # Block out any script that includes a <script> tag in URL.
      RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (<|%3C)([^s]*s)+cript.*(>|%3E) [NC,OR]
      # Block out any script trying to set a PHP GLOBALS variable via URL.
      RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
      # Block out any script trying to modify a _REQUEST variable via URL.
      RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
      # Return 403 Forbidden header and show the content of the root homepage
      RewriteRule .* index.php [F]
      #
      ## End - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits.

## Begin - Custom redirects
      #
      # If you need to redirect some pages, or set a canonical non-www to
      # www redirect (or vice versa), place that code here. Ensure those
      # redirects use the correct RewriteRule syntax and the [R=301,L] flags.
      #
      ## End - Custom redirects

##
      # Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
      # is not directly related to physical file paths.
      # Update Your Joomla! Directory (just / for root).
      ##

# RewriteBase /

## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section.
      #
      RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
      #
      # If the requested path and file is not /index.php and the request
      # has not already been internally rewritten to the index.php script
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index\.php
      # and the request is for something within the component folder,
      # or for the site root, or for an extensionless URL, or the
      # requested URL ends with one of the listed extensions
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /component/|(/[^.]*|\.(php|html?|feed|pdf|vcf|raw))$ [NC]
      # and the requested path and file doesn't directly match a physical file
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
      # and the requested path and file doesn't directly match a physical folder
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
      # internally rewrite the request to the index.php script
      RewriteRule .* index.php [L]
      #
      ## End - Joomla! core SEF Section.

As you can see there is quite a difference! - there is no url rewriting capability in your .htaccess

Please correct your .htaccess file.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds