Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Possible to have widgets display on specific menu items?

• SOLVED Possible to have widgets display on specific menu items?

Posted 11 years 2 months ago
    • I am very new to Wordpress - and generally novice overall in web stuff - and I was just trying out WP themes, Gantry's default theme and framework included.

Coming from Joomla, it seems very awkward that no option is given in WP to limit the display of widgets to specific/defined menu items and views.

I have found only one, ready-made, solution - and forgive me for mentioning a competitor's product - that is Yootheme's Warp theme/framework.
      In Warp, all added widgets are displayed in an options page, where the user can choose the menu items where he/she wants to display each and every widget added to the theme.

Is there any way to achieve the same result with Gantry?
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: SOLVED Possible to have widgets display on specific menu items?

• Hi, Gantry for WordPress has the override system to overcome WP's lack of control over this. It works much like the Joomla template overrides, but also creates additional widget screens.

See this thread, there is a link to documentation on the Gantry website: www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=29..._v=viewtopic#p796235
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: SOLVED Possible to have widgets display on specific menu items?

• Thank you very much Cliff.

Since I made this post I have actually found some very neat plugins that let you control the visibility of widgets right from the widget area or from a separate settings page.
      - Display widgets: simple and effective
      wordpress.org/extend/plugins/display-widgets/
      - Dynamic Widgets: very powerful, highly customizable, highly recommended)
      wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dynamic-widgets/

The second is probably even more flexible than Joomla I believe. Very advanced yet absolutely straightforward for complex operations.

I am not authorized to view the forum you have linked to anyway :cheesy:
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• You need to be a WordPress member to access the WordPress forums. All the documentation for this is on the Gantry site:
      www.gantry-framework.org/documentation/w...erride-configuration

This already built into Gantry. You do not need additional plugins, and those plugins specifically may cause conflicts with other override features in Gantry.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: SOLVED Possible to have widgets display on specific menu items?

Posted 3 years 1 month ago
    • Cliff Pfeifer wrote:
      Hi, Gantry for WordPress has the override system to overcome WP's lack of control over this. It works much like the Joomla template overrides, but also creates additional widget screens.

See this thread, there is a link to documentation on the Gantry website: www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=29..._v=viewtopic#p796235

Hi there,

This link no longer works. Can anybody from the team relink this if they understand what post it pointed to and obviously if the post still exists.
    • Do'er of stuff
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 3 years 4 weeks ago
    • Please don't post in ancient dormant topics or we might miss your post altogether. It's always better to create a new topic of your own.

This post is from 8 years ago - things have move on a lot, not least of which is Gantry 5 rather than Gantry 4.

I'd actually suggest that you do use a plugin so overcome Wordpress's shortfalls in this regard. There are many examples but here is one https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-context/ .

You will find the move from Joomla to Wordpress confusing - I have to switch between the two (and GRAV) all day long and it still catches me out too. Coming from Joomla, you are going to find Wordpress a little clunkier (the reverse would be true moving from WP to Joomla) they're just different and you have to change your mindset and not try to do thing in WP the Joomla way (or vice-versa).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds