Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Can I use another template's menu in Gantry?

• SOLVED Can I use another template's menu in Gantry?

Posted 9 years 11 months ago
    • I like the look of the Diametric menu styling and it's structure. It has nested divs to achieve that look. Is it possible to include that structure in a gantry template as an override instead of modifying the core code?

Thanks,
      Rob
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Can I use another template's menu in Gantry?

• In the gantry template and in diametric template the menu is an injected roknavmenu - The structure should be the same. Therefore, you should be able to achieve everything in custom CSS to obtain the same styling. The only difference is that in diametric we do inject the "logo" into the menu - this you won't be able to do in the gantry template (but you could most likely do that with CSS anyway).

So, i'm not really sure what you are referring to with "nested divs", but the structure should be the same (apart from the logo).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Can I use another template's menu in Gantry?

• Thanks Mark, I'll give that a try. What I meant by nested divs is that in Diametric to achieve that color border and texture inside that plus a gradient it has navigation div for the outside color, a navigation2 that has the texture div inside that and a navigation3 div with the gradient and the menu inside of that one. This is the structure I'm talking about that I don't believe gantry has.

Thanks again,
      Rob
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok, now I understand...

Actually Gantry template doesn't even have the "navigation" position at all (let alone the extra structural DIVS). But there's nothing stopping you adding a new position to the gantry template... Just look at the gantry documentation here gantry-framework.org to learn how to add a position to the template (the structure in the templates index.php file).

Remember though that if you do add a new position, that template updates will overwrite your changes.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Sorry I wasn't that clear in the beginning. Yes, I know that gantry doesn't have that and that's why I was asking. I saw tutorials on layout overrides and wondered if that could apply here. I guess not. I have added a position before in Diametric plus the code to see it in the backend template manager layout tab. I'm aware of updating will override what I'd add to the template.

That leads to another question. Gantry has frequent updates. Is that the template or other gantry stuff?

Thanks,
      Rob
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• It's only an update to the "gantry template" that you need to worry about, updates to the "gantry framework" do not change the gantry template... two different things.

You can't do an "override" to the gantry template, you have to make the change directly to the template (thereby changing it from what we have provided).

Regards, Mark.

• Ok, thank you so much for weighing in on this subject. I have answers now and I feel fortunate that you and I were here and on at the same time. Thank you for the quick responses. We can close this now.

Thank you,
      Rob

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds