• Just a brief note for those who are not aware
      that the majority of particles do not plug and play
      and function across one theme to another

the method of transferring scss, js, and particles
      along with adding the import in the custom.SCSS
      allows you to add them into your theme
      however they do not display as their original design
      or cause errors in the CSS
      without addressing each one on a individual level with some knowledge of coding
    • Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Mhairi.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Particles collection

Posted 3 years 2 months ago
    • That's not necessarily true. Most particles will copy from one template to another and look exactly the same provided that you copy all the constituent components (TWIG, YAML, SCSS and JS). Some particles can have some small dependencies on the template in which they reside requiring you to initialise some SCSS variables yourself in your custom.scss.

There is no such program as custom.php either. All particles are copied into the custom folder of the template (scss, js, or particles folder), particles scss has to be imported into your custom.scss file.

If you want to know how to copy a Gantry 5 particle from one template to another please read my tutorial here in Gantry 5 Official Documentation here .

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Mhairi

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Mhairi
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• My meaning is based upon that
      I went through the entire selection of rocket themes
      and selected non-repeating particles
      that I thought would widen the visual range of presenting materials on separate pages

In following the documentation
      I then copied and pasted the mass of yaml, twig, scss, and js of the selection
      I added all of the scss addons to import after dependdcies in the custom.scss file
      and tested them afterward
      There was about 2 of the 30 that I selected that appeared correctly.

I did this on a freshly installed test site and on my live website,
      multiple times over the course of several installs
      the results have been the same each time.

I am not meaning it isn't possible to utilize particles from other themes
      but, for non-developers, I was trying to suggest
      it isn't as easy as it might read or seem
      as I have done this for both individual particles and massive amounts
      with a success rate that is too low to even want to try to do it

Many have missing variables. Adding them isn't addressed in the documentation.

Many 1. do not appear 2. appear with unexpected results or 3. no formatting whatsoever
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok, well I disagree. Once you've imported the scss you have to recompile the CSS from the base outline. That may reveal errors if the compilation fails and that's the point that you may have to add initialisation for some variable dependencies to your custom.scss. If the compilation fails then nothing in the template is going to work correctly until you resolve that (including the particles that you import).

Copying a particle from one template is relatively straightforward if you follow the instructions. Of course it is desirable that you have some basic knowledge of coding. Also, the documentation clearly states some caveats about copying particles.

I also would recommend that you DO NOT copy lots of particles into a template unless you really are going to use them all. It will slow down your site (even if you do not use the particles). This is why we don't include every particle in every template. Also, I would point out that just because a particle is called the same thing in multiple templates does not mean that it has the same functionality. So, this means that you can end up overridding a particles functionality with that of another template (possibly making it look and behave differently).

The documentation does state that if you are going to copy a particle then you have to ensure that you copy all dependencies for it to work. There is no "one size fits all" piece of documentation that I can write to help you identify all those dependencies.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Mhairi
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• If I am unable to resolve the cross theme particle install
      what option for support should I seek
      private or does this fall into the premier support umbrella?

thanks
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Please raised a new topic of you own in the appropriate (recipient) template forum. Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you. Also, Please post your FTP logon, password and FTP URL in the secure area of your post.

Tell me what particle you are trying to copy and from what (donor) template you are trying to copy it.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds