Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 4 nd 5 Database Structure?

• SOLVED Gantry 4 nd 5 Database Structure?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago
    • Is the database structure for a Gantry 4 templated website the same as a Gantry 5? Can I just install my Joomla Gantry 5 package and then upload a database from a gantry 4 website with all of my content if I have all of the exact same components installed on it?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 nd 5 Database Structure?

• Absolutely not, no. Gantry 4 does use Joomla database, Gantry 5 uses flat files in conjunction with the Joomla database.

There is no "upgrade path" from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 (even if it's the same template) - they are completely different frameworks and effectively you have to start over again. You can of course migrate your article content, menus, images, and some modules using something like "j2xml" but there will still be a lot of rework to do. Gantry 5 uses "particles" and minimal module positions, so you will innevitably have to set-up your site content differently.

I'd suggest that you learn to use Gantry 5 (by starting with a rocketlauncher) before you even consider migrating an existing site to it.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 nd 5 Database Structure?

• Thanks, Mark. Do you think the J2XML is a good migrating program?

I don't have any experience with it. It's not a very robust site. In fact, it is mostly just articles and a few custom code modules.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 nd 5 Database Structure?

• I've use J2XML before and it's great for just moving specific things like articles/categories.

Here's another idea though that you might find easier:

1. First of all load yourself a local rocketlauncher using XAMPP, WAMP or MAMP and get familiar with Gantry 5 and the way the template is used. do some edits, change a few things...

2. Backup you existing site with Akeeba backup and then restore it on a test environment (preferably online so I can help you if you get stuck) using Akeeba kickstart.

3. On the test environment that you created. uninstall the G4 template, uninstall G4, install G5, and then install the G5 template. From that point you should have all your content still present (menu, categories, articles, modules, etc) that you can then re-utilise in you the new G5 template. You can create whatever outlines that you need and any module positions that you still need. You can then still keep referring to the local rocketlauncher copy to work out how to do things if you get stuck.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 nd 5 Database Structure?

• TOO MUCH ROCK FOR ONE HAND, MARK!

Thank you. I actually use gantry 5 on most of the sites I build. This one is just an older one that I handed off to the client years ago. I will follow your instructions and see where I land. Cheers

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds