Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED cached css being used on other pages

• SOLVED cached css being used on other pages

Posted 3 years 10 months ago
    • I have a site where I have one page that is an "application". This page still sits in the gantry framework but has it's own js and css linked in. The site looks great but once you visit this particular page, it then "drags" the jquery mobile css I'm calling for that one page (which has some built in formatting I like for this application I'm doing) to the other pages on the site. If you reload a page it's dragged this formatting to, it's dumped and all things are back to normal using the rockettheme css until you go to this one page again. What can I do to keep it from pulling this css to my other pages? To recreate:

1. Go to gator2005.temp.domains/~cascadia/cm2020/products and notice that the read more buttons are green (as they should be)
      2. Go to EVBot on the menu
      3. Go back to that first page via the menu (Products> AllProducts)
      4. Notice the readmore buttons are now gray since it's using the css from jquerymobile
      5. Reload that page and notice the readmore buttons are now green again like they are supposed to be.

Please help!! I've added no cache meta tags to the evbot page but that doesn't seem to help. I should note that none of the other pages on the site call the jquery mobile css yet it seems to "drag" it to the other pages.
    • Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jennifer Fraser.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED cached css being used on other pages

• 1. We don't really provide support for bespoke developments. But what caching are you using... make sure that you don't have "system - page cache" plugin enabled (you should never use that on any site that has dynamic content). Make sure that if you are using caching in global configuration that is is "conservative" caching and not "progressive" caching (that should never be used for the same reason).

2. Your CSS could be more specific so that it only applies to the particular elements that you ever want to apply it to (so it would not act on other pages anyway).

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED cached css being used on other pages

• Thanks for being so responsive MrT, you've helped me several times over the years. I checked all the caching strategies you suggested and they were all off. I was more asking if the rockettheme system caches called css somehow. However, on further examination, it looks like the actual html being generated by the system is different depending on whether or not you've been to that page without reloading. I thought rockettheme was just somehow dragging a class over and applying it but it looks like it's in the code generation. Is this a rockettheme issue or something else?
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I think it's something else. That script is being loaded, it's firing and it's probably the script modifying the resultant HTML which in turn uses the CSS that is being loaded too. Anything "ui-" is uikit which is not included in our products, so something else has loaded that.

The only other thing to ensure is that you are not in "production" mode in Gantry 5 admin (EXTRAS button top right). If you are change to development mode and clear server cache.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Thanks Mark! Helpful to at least have an idea of what's going on. In my previous efforts to investigate caching, I had made sure I wasn't in production mode for Gantry. Thanks again!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I'd be interested to hear the outcome on this one please.

If your issue is now solved, please EDIT your FIRST POST in this thread by adding [SOLVED] at the start of the title and then select the TICK icon. This lets the moderators know that it can be moved to the solved section.

If you can't edit the first post this will be because it is more than 7 days old, so please reply stating that the topic can be closed and a moderator will do this for you.

Regards, Mark.

• Oh my gosh Mark. This website. I've done a fair amount of sites with Joomla/Rockettheme and usualy it's a breeze. I'm not sure if this is related to the problem of this thread topic or not but I left it here just in case. Deciding to change strategies on my problem, I ripped out all of the css and js calls to go back to "baseline" and build from there. However, after doing this, I realized that basic readmore functionality is no longer working (it was working perfectly fine). It displays the readmore button, with the correct styling (so the correct css is being loaded) but when you click the button, it loads the homepage instead of the readmore content. Go to Products>Inverters (or any products) to see. I know there is that thing about orphaned pages so I set up a hidden menu and created an item for the PM100 article (under Inverters) just to be sure (tho previously I didn't have this and it worked fine). As far as I know, I changed nothing that should impact this but obviously, I've done something because it was working no problem and now it's not. For the life of me I can't find it. I disabled SEF friendly URLs and saw that the system is loading the hompage template as ItemID. So have I accidently flipped some setting in Rockettheme somewhere? The code it generates looks like it's back to the standard rockettheme/gantry generated code but the one thing that gives me pause is when you click the readmore, there is blue "highlight" box that surrounds it and it does not do this on non-readmore links for a few that I tried. That seemed fishy. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. I did find this one instance of it happening to someone else but no solutions. forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=934363 Login info in secure tab.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Your readmore links are "orphaned" or "menuless" - therefore joomla does not know what menu item to open the links in, so it just defaults back to using the "default" menu item (i.e. your "home" menu item). Your "home" menu item has the "home" outline assigned to it. If you look on the layout of that outline your will see that there is no "page content" particle anywhere on the layout (because you disabled it) so there is nowhere for joomla component output to be rendered (i.e. your article that you want to show) - therefore it just looks like you are getting the home page again.

To get around this use the hidden-menu technique.

Create a MENU called "hidden" (no need to create a module to place it anywhere). In the hidden menu, create a MENU ITEM for each of the orphaned articles (single article type) and make sure these menu items are published. Now the hidden menu won't appear on any of your pages, but, the articles will now open in their own page. You can also use the same technique and create a hidden category blog menu item to pick up multiple articles too, thus saving having to create a hidden menu item for every article.

I've created a hidden menu item for you that will pick up all your product articles as it's a category blog. Now when you click on your readmores they open in the "hidden" menu item that I created and that menu item is using the "default" outline (which does have a "page content" particle on the layout) - so now the articles show fine.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Jennifer Fraser

• Mark you are once again my hero. Seriously. I knew about the orphaned articles issue and had created a menu item for a single article to just test that one and see if that was what was gong on but it still wasn't working for that single article. I also didn't realize doing one for the whole category blog would fix all of them. Also, I had forgotten I had disabled the page content item on the home page and that must be what caused it to start happening when it had previously been working perfectly. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds