0 items Join Now

SOLVED Helium not showing page layout

• Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

SOLVED Helium not showing page layout

Posted 2 years 2 months ago
    • J!4.0.0 G!v5.5.7 / g5_hydrogen

Kind of lost here (sorry, G! nub online):
      I have created a page layout in Helium, but on the defined module locations the content is not showing.
      I think it has something to do with the default Gantry theme I have to set. Understand that one can set such a theme as default or link the theme to a menu item.
      What I would like to do is set a fixed G! theme layout for the entire global website and check if the content is showing correctly. Can you hint me on that?
      I already thought of deleting all Gantry layouts but the one I would like to use, but as a rookie on this I'd better keep these fine examples for later use.
    • Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Joombler.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Helium not showing page layout

• Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you.

1. Did you add the positions on the base outline and then inherit to the "default" outline? or did you just change the "default" outline layout?
      2. is the "default" outline actually set as the "default" in template manager (yellow star)?
      3. Are the modules that you assigned to those positions also assigned to the menu item you are using in module manager?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• MrT wrote:
      Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you.
      Thanks, info on its way.
      MrT wrote:
      1. Did you add the positions on the base outline and then inherit to the "default" outline? or did you just change the "default" outline layout?
      No, I didn't yet. Thought that a new 'Start' outline could replace the default outline. Maybe that is the crux of the issue.
      MrT wrote:
      2. is the "default" outline actually set as the "default" in template manager (yellow star)?
      I set this new 'Start' outline as default
      MrT wrote:
      3. Are the modules that you assigned to those positions also assigned to the menu item you are using in module manager?
      To start from scratch I added a menu button 'Start' which contains an overview of my featured articles. That also should be the default content for my index page.

I think that I have some issues of letting go the J!3 thought ;-)
    • Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Joombler, moderators and administrators
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I'm not sure what you are trying to do really.

1. Your "start" menu item (odd name?) is of type "featured articles". This menu item has the "start" outline assigned to it. The layout of the "start" outline does not contain a "page content" particle so there is nowhere for the articles to be rendered. So, I added one for you and then the articles do show (move the "page content" particle wherever you want it on the layout).
      2. The "start" outline has been set as the "default" outline (yellow starred) - so there is no need to assign it to the "start" menu item at all since it would be the outline used anyway.
      3. I checked your modules, of all of them, only one is assigned to a module position that actually is present on the "start" outline. So if you're expecting the others to show then you need to add the module positions on the layout of the "start" outline. Also, all those modules are assign to every menu item too (all pages) - which seems odd anway.
      4. The set-up you are creating is old fashioned and not exploiting the true power of Gantry 5. You're creating one outline with only module positions into which you are going to have to assign many modules (this can be quite hard to understand). At the other extreme you could create one outline for every page of your site and put the content directly on the layout of the outline (easier to understand and clearly see). In reality you will use a mix of the two methods since both have their own merits. Personally, I would use the "base outline" layout to set-up all your module positions and shared content (common parts of the page). Then I would have a "default" outline (yellow starred) use Gantry 5 inheritance (see the docs) to link the layout content to the base outline. Then, if I needed any other outlines, I would create them and have them too inherit any content from the base outline require. In this way, you can maintain the module positions and "common" content once on the "base outline" only making different other content on the layout where necessary on other outlines.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• MrT wrote:
      I'm not sure what you are trying to do really
      First of all thanks for helping out. Normally I would download a complete site set, but I thought starting from scratch would be a real learning curve. As you write, a lot is to learn yet.
      Will follow up your great suggestions, thanks.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds