Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Do you make custom particles for clients that want to change content?

• SOLVED Do you make custom particles for clients that want to change content?

Posted 1 year 9 months ago
    • A friend of mine who is a consultant was talking about the importance of making the websites easy for non tech administrators to be able to change contents in their website without having to rely on a paid support by the site developer.

Joomla as a CMS is easier than having to open a ftp client and a code editor but with so much menus and options, it's not that easy fro them.

Also with the particles puting content inside div's, you have to write html tags in your content and usually there are lots of options that are not used or are not applicable.

I'm thinking of making these simple changes to particles where i can "hide" fields i don't need, change labels, and have the appropriate html tags for the text inserted to be as clean as possible.

So for example for a Title h2 + subtitle block i would normally just throw a custom html particle and just write the code directly. For anyone that knows how to code is easier to do it directly. Instead, i'm thinking of customizing the "simple content" particle, give it a Title + Sub-title name and get rid of every option except 2 labels: title and sub-title. I would then change the code produced to insert h2 and p tags.

I wonder if you are already doing this for your clients that ask this as a requesite. This produces a lot more work but i think is a great way to make particle content easier to manage or them.

I also think is a great selling point too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Miguel
    • Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Miguel Magalhães.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Do you make custom particles for clients that want to change content?

• No we're not. Most of our members would know how to write simple HTML and a little CSS. We do not sell any particles separately at all - we only sell themes (that include some particles). Gantry 5 core also includes a set of particles too.

More advanced members do also make their own particles because with Gantry 5 it is very easy to do (refer to G5 docs). You just need to be able to code in TWIG and YAML (and possibly some JS) depending on your requirement.

To be honest with you I have many of my own clients and I keep them well away from anything technical at all. All my clients use is just articles and be careful categorisation I pick that content up and place/style the content for them through standard particles and some particles that I wrote too.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Do you make custom particles for clients that want to change content?

• Thanks for your input MrT.

My post was actually intended to my fellow colleagues users of the RT/Gantry ecossystem that make websites professionaly for clients and not for the Rocketheme itself.

Maybe i should've post on chit chat forum?

I think Gantry 5 and the way one can change particles is so much better than anything else. It's confusing at first but once you know it. And i must thank you MrT for your valueable answers on this forum. You also share you professional experience outside RT which is great.

I'm not at a level of producing a particle from the ground up but customing i certanly can.

I usually prefer to control everything myself also but there are selling points on giving them some control. Every client is different i guess.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds