Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Questions about Gantry 5 + Callisto

• Arnaud
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Questions about Gantry 5 + Callisto

Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    • Hi there,

I'm trying to post my question here since no one seems to answer my question in the Callisto forum.

First of all, after installing the Gantry 5 zip, I don't get exaclty the same screen as the one showed in the Gantry tutorial. For me, every element is locked/protected and not just "enabled" except "Gantry 5". Is that a problem ?

Then my REAL problem is that it seems I can't save any preset style.
      I mean let's say I select an outline, then Styles, then preset 3. A star appears on preset 3, to indicate I'm working on this preset. I click on save one first time (maybe that's not even necessary ?) to let Gantry know I will use preset 3 for this outline.

Then let's say I change the color of Accent color 1. As soon as I click on the color, the star disappears. Most of the times, I can't save anything (my changes are like not applied anywhere). Some other times, whichever the preset I click, the colors don't change (they all are like preset 1 for instance).

Any idea of what could go wrong here ?

Thank you.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Questions about Gantry 5 + Callisto

• Arnaud wrote:
      First of all, after installing the Gantry 5 zip, I don't get exaclty the same screen as the one showed in the Gantry tutorial. For me, every element is locked/protected and not just "enabled" except "Gantry 5". Is that a problem ?

You're probably looking at the Callisto - Default Outline? Check out the Base Outline...

Base Outline = All your Default Settings... every Outline "above" it would be all your specific Page Layouts/Outlines... so they'll be grey, and inherit the Base Outline settings, unless the checkbox next to the setting is ticked and the value is changed.

Definitely read up on Outlines > Layouts > Settings > Sections > Grids > Particles

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/basics/terminology
      docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/layout-manager

My guess is this comprehension applies to your Preset Issue as well... be diligent about what Outline / Outline Level you're working
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Arnaud
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Matt,

Thank you for your answer.

Well, it took me a lot of time to understand where my confusion was coming from : I really thought that each preset was editable. Like I could make the background color #000 in preset 1 and #fff in preset 2. Which means torturing your templates a little :-)

Now what I get is I don't need to care about the preset / selection star since all I want is to customize each color myself.
      Then my changes are just saved, one set of colors by outline. Is that correct ?

Do you have an answer concerning those "locked/protected" Gantry extensions ? Should I worry about that or not ?

It would be nice as well if you could let me know about the way RT menus work, cause I didn't really get it.
      I thought it was like "using" my joomla mainmenu, enhancing and overriding it.
      But it seems there is only a "home" item link at first, after installation. And if I edit the RT menu, adding the same links as my original mainmenu (in Joomla), the RT Home item will remain.

So, what I've done so far is using the RT menu, renaming the RT home item with my original home item name, deleting this original home item and using the other menu items. Then I simply disable my original mainmenu.
      Well, it seems to be working this way, but sounds so twisted to me that I guess there's something I didn't get !
      Any help ?

Thank you !
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Correct

What do you mean locked/protected extensions? Please detail what section you're talking about/provide a screen shot

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/menu-editor

You can use either the Joomla Menu Manager or Gantry's Menu Editor...

I think the problem you're running into is which menu you're pointing your Menu Particle at... the Menu Particle is going to be defaulted to the Callisto Menu if you used the RocketLauncher... if you had another menu you wanted it pointed at, you can just change that within the Menu Particle itself... or, as you've done, you can re-edit the Callisto menu
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Arnaud
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• What do you mean locked/protected extensions? Please detail what section you're talking about/provide a screen shot

Here it is. On top on the image is the screen shown on the Gantry site, right after installing Gantry.
      At the bottom, this is what I see. Locked/protected elements.

Thank you for your explanations about the menu.
      Well, no, I didn't use Rocketlauncher, only Gantry 5 and then the template itself.
      Then, I selected "Mainmenu" but the Callisto HOME item seemed to "stick" to my Mainmenu, replacing my home/default page.
      My original mainmenu had 5 items so I ended with 6 items.
      Oh well, after all I've found a way… but I like to understand how things work, even tho it sometimes takes time :-)
      At least that's good to know what I've done was not totally absurd…

Getting back to the Gantry tutorial pages, as I was exploring the "how to add a custom style sheet" section, I noticed that the screenshot was slightly different from what I had (once again).
      Here is the image from the tutorial. In the first/left column, I don't have those items in the Callisto template : comingsoon.php, css folder, css-compiled folder.
      Since I couldn't manage an override so far, I was wondering if this was to be noticed ?
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• ok, yeah, there's no settings you can change on any of those extensions... they're all part of the G5 core... uninstally the main Gantry Component would uninstall those as well... why were you trying to access them directly like that? All of the configuration options live within the G5 Component ~ Gantry Themes area

you should definitely have a css and css-compiled folder... are you looking in the right area?

templates/rt_callisto/css
      templates/rt_callisto/css-compiled

... should exist... you don't mess with them in any case though... you'd stick your custom CSS or SCSS code in a custom.scss file in rt_callisto/custom/scss/

You can also use the Custom CS/JS Atom

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/particles/atoms#custom-css-js
      docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/layout-manager#atoms-section
    • Arnaud
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• ok, yeah, there's no settings you can change on any of those extensions... they're all part of the G5 core... uninstally the main Gantry Component would uninstall those as well... why were you trying to access them directly like that? All of the configuration options live within the G5 Component ~ Gantry Themes area

I was not trying to access anything, just following the tutorial as carefully as I could.
      That's when I saw that what they were showing was not what I had.
      If that's not important, then I'm fine with it.
      But in that case, maybe they should show exactly what people will get on their screen captures, this would be less confusing I think.

you should definitely have a css and css-compiled folder... are you looking in the right area?

templates/rt_callisto/css
      templates/rt_callisto/css-compiled

In my template installation, the css and css-compiled folders are here :

templates/rt_callisto/custom/css
      templates/rt_callisto/custom/css-compiled

I got the same installing gantry + hydrogen, just for testing.
      Needless to say I didn't move anything, I swear :-)
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Arnaud wrote:
      I was not trying to access anything, just following the tutorial as carefully as I could.
      That's when I saw that what they were showing was not what I had.

Sorry... I'm confused... can you please link me to which tutorial you're talking about?

I mispoke eariler...

^^ is correct

there's no: /rt_callisto/custom/css/ folder by default...

... an .scss file within the /custom/scss/ folder with either css or scss code in it should get loaded...

got a link? where's your scss file loaded?

I see what you're saying about the screen shot at docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/adding-a-custom-style-sheet -- I don't have those files in my callisto install either... but... those are meant to be more generic gantry docs and I spose in different templates you could have different files in your template root... the path is what's important... I'll let the doc guy know though that it is a bit confusing

:)
    • Arnaud
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Sorry... I'm confused... can you please link me to which tutorial you're talking about?

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/basics/installation

This is where I get the screen with locked elements and what they show is unlocked elements.

I mispoke eariler...

^^ is correct

there's no: /rt_callisto/custom/css/ folder by default...

OK, thank you, this is clearer now. Cause, as you could see by yourself, the tutorials are a little ambiguous about that.

... an .scss file within the /custom/scss/ folder with either css or scss code in it should get loaded...

Yes, I finally succeeded. My problem was that my old version of Dreamweaver was adding some .css extension to my file, but in some invisible way in OSX. So the site was seeing the file as custom.scss.css. What I did is selecting the file in OSX and then delete the .css extension, making the .scss the "real" extension. Am I clear ? :-) I'm sharing this with you cause this is something you might meet again in the future with other users.

By the way, before this technique worked, I tried something else : I edited another css file ie rt_callisto/css/flexicontent.css and this was working. Do you think I could still do it that way or that, for some reason, editing the scss file you recommend is better ? Like being more integrated to the Callisto compiled css ?

Talking about the flexicontent extension that I'm using and that you probably know, I noticed that since I activated the Callisto template, rather than Protostar, some elements on my pages were damaged.
      I'm talking about category views, let's say a simple grid of 9 articles previews (3x3), showing a picture and a short introduction of each article. With callisto, this introduction is like "cut" on the right, at the end of lines, some letters of words are cut/invisible/missing.

Do you think I could try to edit the Callisto scss with paddings or stuff like that ?

got a link? where's your scss file loaded?

Sorry, still working locally at this stage.

I'll let the doc guy know though that it is a bit confusing

Sure, that might be a good idea :-)
    • Arnaud
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Hi Matt,

Before you bother answering me, here are some news about this :
      Talking about the flexicontent extension that I'm using and that you probably know, I noticed that since I activated the Callisto template, rather than Protostar, some elements on my pages were damaged.
      I'm talking about category views, let's say a simple grid of 9 articles previews (3x3), showing a picture and a short introduction of each article. With callisto, this introduction is like "cut" on the right, at the end of lines, some letters of words are cut/invisible/missing.

Sorry, my mistake. This is still a real problem I have to solve, BUT it seems it has nothing to do with Callisto.
      More a problem with the way Firefox deals with responsive design : quite poorly.
      (In case you are curious : I think the width of my paragraphs depends on the width of the image above. And since Firefox doesn't calculate the size of images in a responsive way, the reference is wrong and my paragraphs get damaged).

I still have a few questions if you don't mind…

Just to be sure… a very small detail… whenever I'm using Gantry/Callisto, if I click on the joomla top right menu (little triangle to edit your profile or disconnect from Joomla), the words "super user" get grey (see picture). Which never happens in any other circumstances while working in Joomla. Is it some "slight interference" with no consequence at all ? Do you have the same thing ?

In the Front end, bottom of the page, there is this newsletter zone, with a field to enter your email address, right ?
      For me it is "scratched" in any browser (see picture). But it appears fine on your demo site. Same thing with the "search our site" field. Could it be only because my site is not online ? Or something else ?

Thanks for your help and patience… :-)

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds