Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Best Practicies: Google Fonts - local fonts vs Google site?

• jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

SOLVED Best Practicies: Google Fonts - local fonts vs Google site?

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • Hello!
      I use Google Fonts in my projects. (With cyrillic-ext, but it's not important for this topic, if I not mistaken.)
      What is a best solution:

1. I can put the code for Google Fonts in G5 "Core Styles Settings" to load that from Google site:
      family=Roboto:700,700italic,400,400italic&subset=latin-ext,latin,cyrillic

2. I can copy Google Fonts to my server with this great and clear manual:
      docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/fonts

I read some docs about "additional DNS-resolving time" for outer fonts etc.
      But the simplicity is in the 1-st variant: use Google Fonts from Google server.
      What is more important "by idea"?
      Where may be a "hidden" issues and troubles for a future?

Thank you in advance for any opinions!
    • — We don’t put dates, with a date the document becomes invalid.
      © Tomcat Behemoth, “The Master and Margarita” by Mikhail Bulgakov
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Best Practicies: Google Fonts - local fonts vs Google site?

• If you use a local font then everything is under your control on your server - technically in theory this should be the fastest way to server the fonts. If you use google then the name does have to get resolved and the font served from a different server - so again (in theory) it will take longer and you're reliant on there servers being available.

In reality though, there's not that much difference between the two. What does take time (local or remote font) is the rendering of the font by the browser some fonts are more complex that others and can take longer to be rendered. For this reason, it's better to leave the bulk of you content (articles) using a font that most browser would recognise and the font would already be on your PC to be rendered (e.g. helvetica, verdana, arial, etc).

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: jooru

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• MrT wrote:
      it's better to leave the bulk of you content (articles) using a font that most browser would recognise and the font would already be on your PC to be rendered (e.g. helvetica, verdana, arial, etc).
      So what's a reason to use other fonts to just "serif/sans-sefif" cases? Just dEsIgN?
      By the way, if we set f.e. "helvetica" then this font doesn't downloads every time, right? Incl. a case we set something like "helvetica.files" for that fonts? Mark, if you have a minute, please!, - be just a little more detailed in this question.

UPD/P.S. I intentionally make the question a little easier. This is very important, I would like more understanding.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by jooru.
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• MrT wrote:
      What does take time (local or remote font) is the rendering of the font by the browser some fonts are more complex that others and can take longer to be rendered.
      Very interesting. What's a difference Existing font vs Downloaded font, about rendering time? Any font become rendered every time when loaded to any browser page, yes?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• When you specify font-family in CSS you usually specify mnore than one font. This is known as a font stack. The browser will try to use the first font in the stack - but if it doesn't recognise it it will then move to the next, then the next, etc, etc. Normally you would end a font stack with "serif" or "sans-serif" because all browsers understand that - what you are saying in effect is "if you didn't understand all my other fonts, then please pick any "serif" (or "sans-serif") font that you do know about. In this way your page will always be rendered and you will be able to read the text (even if it doesn't look as you intended).

I presume you understand what serif and sans-serif is? But I better explain just in case, a sans serif font would be one without serifs (the little barbs) on the letters (example Arial), a serif font would be one with serifs (the little barbs) on the letters - example times new roman.

You PC already knows about basic fonts like "arial" and "verdana" so they don't have to be downloaded from anywhere - so they can be rendered straight away. Other fonts have to be downloaded first before they can be rendered (be that from your server or googles server). Also, some font files are larger that others, and may actually have more that one font file in the font stack because they support more variation in the font (e.g. underline, bold, italic, cyrillic, font-weights specifics, special characters, etc etc).

I hope that is now enough information for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• MrT wrote:
      I presume you understand what serif and sans-serif is?
      Yes, that's right. 25 years of polygraphic design lets me know that.
      I'm talking about web fonts and web fonts rendering time now.

MrT wrote:
      You PC already knows about basic fonts like "arial" and "verdana" so they don't have to be downloaded from anywhere
      Ok.

MrT wrote:
      I hope that is now enough information for you.
      No. It's not enough, Mark. You are a web-professional. And it's not a talking about a fonts. It's talking about web applications.
      So what about time of font rendering - downloaded fonts vs system installed fonts?
      Please, be more constructive.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by jooru.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I've done my best to answer your questions and I'm sorry that you feel I am not being constructive.

I think the best course of action now is for me to get one of my colleagues to answer instead. I feel I have already answered your questions.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: jooru

• jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• MrT wrote:
      In reality though, there's not that much difference between the two. What does take time (local or remote font) is the rendering of the font by the browser some fonts are more complex that others and can take longer to be rendered.
      Mark, just imagine, you just talking with some really stupid guys, and please, decript this magic phrase!
    • jooru
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • It’s Webtime! )

• What. About. TIME ! Of. Font. Rendering. )The time is equal! Yes or no? Time of rendering.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I've asked one of my colleagues to answer you. I think that is probably the most constructive way forward now as you are finding my explanations hard to understand. I fresh explanation from someone else will probably be more beneficial to you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by MrT. Reason: typo correction

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds