Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Where are particle data stored?

• Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

Where are particle data stored?

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • This is probably a dumb rookie question (second night playing with Gantry 5...and it's 2:38am), but where are the particle data stored? Flat files and not the core database?

I am starting at the top and working my way down through all these new features in the template manager. I created a logo particle using text, then went into the core db looking for the tables gantry is using. Whoopsie. None of the tables contain the content I am entering into these particles?

I am not a fan of circumventing the core (especially com_content like K2 does), so if particle data are not passed to the J! database, what happens when we want to use another template not built on Gantry? We’re locked-in (good for you, bad for us)?

I won’t post any of the dozens of other questions I have, as I am still going through all the documentation and trolling countless threads…but wanted to get this one out of the way before I start down this road all for naught.

While I totally dig the power/ease of customization/etc, I would rather use Joomla and merely apply a template to it, not replace Joomla altogether (yes, I read that we don’t have to use particles and all that…).

I'm scared. :)
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Where are particle data stored?

• PS: I will reinstall this localhost install, but I feel like I am on a gameshow. Everytime I pick a particle, I am surprised what I find in the box! :)

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Where are particle data stored?

• I've been spending some time with G5 and it's starting to pay off. I finally got my head around these 'custom gantry page' menu items. Nice!

One of the most unintuitive J! tasks for new users is creating a 'new page' (or menu item). We created categories and articles and assigned them to the menu, then populated the page with modules, etc. Not anymore! Simply add a new menu item - custom gantry page -> particle it up. I can dig it.

...so maybe circumventing the system isn't so bad after all. ;)

EDIT: The menu manipulation rocks, too...drop-and-drag module injections. Sweet.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Terp.
  • Re: Where are particle data stored?

• Sorry Terp, I think your posts got overlooked since you replied :)

Just to give you quick replies, even though I think you have all figured out now.

1. Particles data, as well as Layouts, Styles, any configuration, any uploaded image that happens via admin, any override you create, it all gets stored under templates/yourtemplate/custom folder. The custom folder is your personal template space, it is the safest location in the template to put custom data that will never get touched by us (gantry) when, for example, installing updates.
      The other particularity we introduced with Gantry 5, is being pretty much entirely database free, so it is very easy to customize manually any value, like for instance a particle text or an outline background color. Everything is stored in the yaml files that you can find in the custom/ folder. This also makes it very easy to backup and port to other templates.

2. That screenshot you uploaded that shows only cubes icons was a temporary issue introduced with 5.2.1 (by me, sorry :(), I quickly fixed it and then we released 5.2.2 so if you already updated you should be good with that.

3. Extremely happy to know you appreciate the simplicity and UI/UX of Gantry admin, I know I will sound repetitive but we did put a lot of thoughts into it, we weren't kidding when we said we had to rewrite Gantry from scratch to truly modernize it.
      We feel like all the Drag and Drop operation across the admin, like Menu and Layout, make it really simple and intuitive to manage a template.

Configuring a template should be a joy, not a chore.
    • The following users have thanked you: Terp

• / Djamil Legato / Lead Developer /

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds