Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Huge problem with modules and links not working correctly

• SOLVED Huge problem with modules and links not working correctly

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • Hi,

I have a huge problem on my site midas-it.de/ipsjoomla .

For the site we use the Hydrogen Template. Now in version 5.2.4 with Joomla! 3.4.5.

On the homepage on the left there are the 5 most recent articles from a certain category.
      This is done with a module of the type "Articles-Category".

See image 1.

When I click one of those links it doesn't direct me to that article BUT to the page 'News' where those and older articles are listed.

See image 2.

Clicking on one of those links on that 'News' page, which is also a module of the type "Articles-Category", doesn't open the desired article either. Instead it always opens the 'News' page.

When I change the Template Style for the 'News' Menu item to e.g. Beez3 it works perfectly!

I have no idea how this is related.

Maybe someone has an idea what I can do about it.

Best regards,
      Michael
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Huge problem with modules and links not working correctly

• Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and i'll have a look for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Huge problem with modules and links not working correctly

• Hi MrT,

all is now in the secure tab.

Best regards, Michael
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok let me explain why this happens.

1. You have set the default template (outline) to the "news" outlines (ID 24).
      2. Your articles list on the home are all orphaned (menuless) articles so Joomla will open them in the default template as it has nothing else to go on.
      3. The "news" outline layout does not have a "page content" particle on the layout, therefore there is no place for component output to be rendered (articles are rendered in a component). Therefore your articles will not show. The only thing that will show is the specific content that you have put on the layout of the "news" outline.

So...

First your default outline for each language should be set correctly and should always have a page content particle on it's layout. This layout should be a generic layout that should not have any unique content directly on the layout (except perhaps logo, menu and copyright - the rest should be just module position particles). Second, you should consider using the hidden menu technique so that you can directly assign an outline to those articles...

Create a MENU called "hidden" (no need to create a module to place it anywhere). In the hidden menu, create a MENU ITEM for each of the orphaned articles (single article type) and make sure these menu items are published. Now the hidden menu won't appear on any of your pages, but, the articles will now open in their own page. You can also use the same technique and create a hidden category blog menu item to pick up multiple articles too, thus saving having to create a hidden menu item for every article.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• OK, I guess I missed something here.

I now have set the default templates (outlines) for each language to two new outlines, which I created.

Only with logo, menu, page content and copyright.

As I already had a hidden menu I have added the two categories I need as category blog menu items.
      Because I don't want to add the items one by one to the hidden menu.
      Because these articles (the 5 most recent) should show up dynamicaly on the homepage.
      As template style I assigned the new created default template.
      I would have expected, that the articels would now show up. But they still don't.

It seems to me, I have done somthing wrong or I missed something you wrote.

Maybe you could have another look.

Thank you and best regards,
      Michael
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok, first I turned off SEF urls and url rewriting so you can see the urls that joomla is actually using under the covers... This reveals that the urls from that module actually have "itemID=161" in them which means "open the page in menu item 161". If you then look what menu item 161 is then that reveals that you already have a "category list" of "news" within the same menu. This will take precedence over the hidden menu item that you added. Once I disabled this menu item 161 then it all works as it should. So, what you need to do is either not have this menu item, or change it to an alias to the hidden menu item.

Regards, Mark.

• Hi Mark,

you must be some kind of genius!

You pointed me in the right direction.

But doing so makes me losing my layout for the 'News' page, as I am no longer able to use the category blog module I have implented on the outline for the 'News' page.
      Have to figure out if I can 'rebuild' the layout in any other way.

Thank you and best regards,
      Michael

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds