Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Home page sections appearing on other pages

• Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

Home page sections appearing on other pages

Posted 7 years 8 months ago
    • I have two completely different development sites that has something really weird going on. Both are using Gantry/Hydrogen 5.3.5 versions and this started to happen after the update to those versions.

On first site, when articles from one particular category is displayed, sections only meant for the home page, such as the 'g-showcase' and 'g-feature' are displayed. This does not happen on any other articles for any other category.

On second site, if I click any link on the home page, it displays the showcase and feature sections even though on the default template, there is NO showcase and feature sections. The home page is the only one that has a showcase and feature section.

First site:
      When I compare the 'body' tag from the home page to the 'body' tag from the article display, here is the difference.

HOME PAGE
      <body class="gantry site com_gantry5 view-custom no-layout no-task dir-ltr itemid-114 outline-18 g-offcanvas-left g-joomla-gantry4 g-style-preset1">

ARTICLE PAGE
      <body class="gantry site com_content view-article no-layout no-task dir-ltr itemid-114 outline-18 g-offcanvas-left g-joomla-gantry4 g-style-preset1">

As you can see the only difference is that the home page has the 'com-gantry5' whereas the article page has 'com-content'.

Also, the article is linked from a newsflash module display that is only assigned to one menu link and NOT the home page. The article is not 'featured' so it does not display on the home page.

Second Site

However, on the second site the only different in the BODY tags is the HOME PAGE is 'view-featured' and the ARTICLE PAGE is 'view-article', which makes sense.

HOME PAGE
      <body class="gantry g-header-type-fixed site com_content view-featured no-layout no-task dir-ltr g-home itemid-329 outline-17 g-offcanvas-left g-joomla-gantry4 g-style-preset1">

ARTICLE PAGE
      <body class="gantry g-header-type-fixed site com_content view-article no-layout no-task dir-ltr g-home itemid-329 outline-17 g-offcanvas-left g-joomla-gantry4 g-style-preset1">

Anyone have an idea what may be happening that is causing this article to be displayed on the home page?
    • Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Luke Douglas.
    • Just another old hacker!
  • Re: Home page sections appearing on other pages

• Hello Luke,

Please create a secure post with a link to your sites and login details and I'd be happy to investigate this for you.
    • Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org
    • Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

Re: Home page sections appearing on other pages

• Credentials sent.

• If I click on the Article from the newsflash it displays a longer URL that seems to take the Homepage along with it (see secure post first URL).

But if I use the basic URL (which I also assigned to a Hidden Menu), it displays on it's own (second URL).

What if the URLs are SEF friendly? Does it make a difference?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    • Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org

• Typically, I assign an article to a hidden-menu and it automatically gives it it's own page.
    • Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org
    • Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

• Reggie,

This is a bit weird as the links were not properly configured.

Correct Link:
      http://www.WEBSITE.com/newdesign/index.php/utility-trailers/439-shivers-5x10-trailer

Incorrect Link:
      http://www.WEBSITE.com/newdesign/index.php/component/content/63-trailers/utility-trailers/438-shivers-76x12-trailer?Itemid=153

So I switched the SEF option back on and recreated the links using the 'chain' icon in the JCE Editor toolbar.

Not working link:
      href="http://www.WEBSITE.com/newdesign/index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=458:10x14-utility-shed&amp;catid=91:equipment-odds-ends&amp;Itemid=114"

Working link:
      href="http://www.WEBSITE.com/newdesign/index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=459:new-masteryde-16-boat-trailer&amp;catid=91:equipment-odds-ends&amp;Itemid=458"

I checked the 'assets' table and there was NO record for '114' (Itemid=114) in the non-working link. The record for '458' in the working link was 'Popular'.

At this point, I have no clue how the Itemid of '114' got there. But now that I know the issue, it's just a matter of going back and redo the links which is a bit of work.

If anyone can explain why this happened, I would appreciate it.

• The ID 114 seems to be coming from your Home menu:
    • Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org
    • Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

• Reggie,

Agreed. It was the home link. The articles are listings for trailers and equipment so I feel the issue was I have copied over from an article that had a bad link and didn't catch it so when I copied / edited the article for new trailers and equipment, it copied over the bad link and just changing the alias and article id didn't fix the issue. To be safe, from now on I am going to simply use the editor link tool and avoid manually creating the links.

Thanks for your feedback!

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds