Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Moving Gantry 5 to Live Site

• Phil F
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Moving Gantry 5 to Live Site

Posted 2 years 3 months ago
    • I have created a dev site copy of my live site and the dev site is now set up with Gantry 5 and the Notio theme. i have spent a lot of time getting to grips with the new way of working with Gantry 5 and I am really pleased with what I have now created. However, the dev site is a sub domain of my live site. My host says I would have to download the dev site then delete the live site and re-upload via FTP the new gantry 5 powered dev site. That could take some time at 1.8gb. However, as the sites are virtually the same, could I just install Ganty 5 and Notio on to the live site and then upload/overwrite the Notio theme and gantry components to achieve the look of the dev site? I hope you see my reasoning for this, saving time, etc.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Moving Gantry 5 to Live Site

Posted 2 years 3 months ago
    • Short answer, no. The best way of moving a site is to make a backup using akeeba backup and then use akeeba kickstart to set up the site in the new location (empty directory and empty database).

A site consists of data flat files, site config, database files etc etc and they all have to be in sync. That is why you use Akeeba.

I struggle to see why your site is 1.8GB too? An average site would be less than 200mb so you must have a huge amoutn of articles and/or images.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds