Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Default menu assignments and gantry themes

• Default menu assignments and gantry themes

Posted 1 year 5 months ago
    • Hello.

This is I think a fundamental gantry/joomla issue that I'm just not understanding I think.
      Lets say I have a site with Joomla4 and Gantry5 and Hydrogen theme installed.

I've created a few gantry outlines under the default them and have assigned them where needed.
      My 'home page' has, like a lot of sites a few things happening on it, namely an image slider and some panels for basic info.

The problem comes when I have some links to content.
      If they don't come under menu heading (where a different outline is applied) then they appear with the home outline and their content is displayed between the slider and the panel sections.

I notice this happens when the URLs are in the form of:

mysite.com/component/content/article/blah-blah
      or
      mysite.com/component/content/category/blah-blah
      or
      mysite.com/?view=article&id=87&catid=9:blah-blah

So my question... How do I force certain content (i.e. from certain components) to be assigned a specific gantry theme/outline when being directly linked to.

Perhaps it's as easy as forcing the styled home page to a /splash URL and somehow making sure that any / request is redirected to /splash

Or perhaps there is a better way to do it by makins sure content is always assigned to specific menu routes?

Or maybe I understand nothing of Gantry and Joomla :-)
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Default menu assignments and gantry themes

• This is normal Joomla behaviour for "orphaned" or "menuless" articles. To get around this use the hidden-menu technique.

Create a MENU called "hidden" (no need to create a module to place it anywhere). In the hidden menu, create a MENU ITEM for each of the orphaned articles (single article type) and make sure these menu items are published. Now the hidden menu won't appear on any of your pages, but, the articles will now open in their own page. You can also use the same technique and create a hidden category blog menu item to pick up multiple articles too, thus saving having to create a hidden menu item for every article.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Default menu assignments and gantry themes

• MrT wrote:
      This is normal Joomla behaviour for "orphaned" or "menuless" articles. To get around this use the hidden-menu technique.

Hiya Mark..

I actually discovered this technique already. I might have read it before or figured it out, I am not sure.
      But I had not created one for some categories.

It's an interesting fix and what I would consider a bit of a hack really. But I'll apply it if there is no other way.
      I guess my idea of the empty URL ( mysite.com/ ) redirecting to a splash screen might also work.

It would be great if it were possible to set this up for any 'orphaned' articles... But I guess that's not possible?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Default menu assignments and gantry themes

• It is not a hack at all - It's a normal JOOMLA behaviour. If you want something to use a specific outline then then only way of doing that is for Joomla to be able to recognise the link as using a specific menu item ID. Assignment in Joomla module manager or Gantry 5 can only be to a specific menu item.

You can use a "category" menu item to pick up many articles with one single menu item.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Dan Carroll

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds