Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

CSS Based collapse

• CSS Based collapse

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • Hi,

I am in the process of adapting one of my RT templates to tableless, I have been looking through the existing templates and I notice that you use DIV based collapsable columns on the GeoSync template. I was just wondering if you could share with me the process that you used to achieve this. I am trying to hide both the left and right columns using DIV's.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks.
  • Re: CSS Based collapse

• Is it really that difficult Andy?

Thanks.

Re: CSS Based collapse

• Maybe you should give the man some time to read this post and to respond to it.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: CSS Based collapse

• actually it's very difficult and counterintuitive to have a tableless design and have more than 1 column collapse. Things would be a little better if all browsers followed the specs, but alas we have IE to worry about. If you were to design one from scratch it's possible to float two divs, one left and one right, and then have the body continue under it. unfortunatley this produces a strange effect, as the body would wrap under the divs. Also in IE, you almost always have to start specifying div widths if you want the body to stay in it's designatied space, the problem here is that if you remove a div, then the body now has the wrong width. In short, div's are really not intended to be used this way and a table is a much better solution.
  • Re: CSS Based collapse

• Thanks Andy,

Great info. I just thought if there was a way then you would know about it. If you say tables are good for this then thats good enough for me.

Thank.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds