Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Newbie. Template Upload Nightmare

• Newbie. Template Upload Nightmare

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • I've searched through the forums and can't find anything relating to my problem, so if it's the answer is there somewhere I apologize. But I'm starting to feel dizzy now ;)

I recently installed Joomla and just became a member of RocketTheme. I've dl'd the .tgz of the Modern Business Template and am trying to install it. It isn't working. Here's what happens when I browse to the rt_modbusiness.tgz and click Upload File & Install (btw, all requested directories are writeable):

Unable to create directory '/blah/blah/blah/media/install_443000c314837/rt_modbusiness/'Unable to create path for /blah/blah/blah/media/install_443000c314837/rt_modbusiness/ Upload template - Upload Failed
      Extract Error
      Upload template - Failed
      Installation file not found:

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a step somewhere? Please help.

Thanks.
      Michael
    • Last Edit: 18 years 1 month ago by damo.
    • "His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free."
      ~unknown
  • Re: Newbie. Template Upload Nightmare

• Template installation should be pretty simple. Sounds like you have a server issue. Is this your server or is it a shared host? How did you install Joomla (i.e. upload the compressed file and extract it on the server from a shell)

• My sites are hosted through a company called Blacksun.ca, Joomla itself seems to be working fine with the tempaltes that come pre-installed. When I up loaded Joomla, I did so by extracting the files locally and then uploading them to the server through Smart FTP and CHMOD'd as necessary.

It's a strange thing, could this problem have anything to do with SAFE MODE being on or off?

// EDIT

Well, I just answered my own question. I called Blacksun.ca (best hosting on the planet) and asked if they could disable SAFE MODE and voila, badda-boom-badd-bing the install went smooth as silk.
    • Last Edit: 18 years 1 month ago by Michael Dargie.
    • "His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free."
      ~unknown

• Glad you got it. Next time you talk to them see if they will give you a shell access too. That comes in handy.
    • Sharon Gaughan
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Information Science & Technology

Re: Newbie. Template Upload Nightmare

• I have had the same problem. Any install of ModernBusiness results in unwritable folders and files from the "rt_modbusiness" folder on dowqn.

My host says this result's from the installation script's interacxtion with Apache. The system "owns" the software and takes ownership of the template directory. I do not own it so I am locked out. That means no chmod from my end. The tech superuser hase had to manually reset the permissions. They are working on a workaround; I will post something as soon as the fix is in.

In the meantime, I can post the rather lengthy configuration data from Joomla! (or maybe upload a copy). Up to you.

Sharon
    • Sharon Sinéad Gaughan
      Fairfax, VA  USA

Apache / MySQL 5.0.95 / PHP 5.3.24 / Joomla! 2.5.20 / Gantry 4.1.20
      Custom: rt_hexeris-custom.css and rt_hexeris-custom.less

• That's great, thanks. I managed to get the template working, but now have run into PERMISSIONS challenges on the server. For some reason I can't overwrite the header_logo.png (or whatever it's called). So, now armed with your knowledge I'll ask my host to manually reset the permissions. Can you send me the file so I can pass it along to them?

Thanks for your help!

~m
      ~unknown
    • Sharon Gaughan
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Information Science & Technology

• I sent the config file via email. I found your address on your website.

Of course, it took two tries! :-[

Sharon
    • Sharon Sinéad Gaughan
      Fairfax, VA  USA

Apache / MySQL 5.0.95 / PHP 5.3.24 / Joomla! 2.5.20 / Gantry 4.1.20
      Custom: rt_hexeris-custom.css and rt_hexeris-custom.less

• Michael Dargie wrote:
      That's great, thanks. I managed to get the template working, but now have run into PERMISSIONS challenges on the server.

For permission issues use JoomlaXplorer component to change file and folder permissions or Webadmin script.
    • VirtueShop

• Thanks for all the tips and help!

M
      ~unknown
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds