Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

WordPress?

• WordPress?

Posted 18 years 5 days ago
    • Is there some inherent reason for using WordPress over just creating a blog content category and adding a comment component to Joomla? I installed and looked at WordPress today. I’ve never blogged, so I was hoping someone with some more advanced blogging skills could chime in.

At first glance, the cons are having another component to keep updated, and another WYSIWYG editor. The site I’m considering adding it too already has a Joomla editor and the SMF editor. Any insight would be appreciated.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 11 months ago by Grant Brown.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: WordPress?

Posted 18 years 4 days ago
    • wordpress is a blogging tool, joomla really isn't. That's really the meat of it. I'm not really using all the blog stuff like trackbacks, but they are there if i wish to do so. if you just want to post articles and have people comment then a blog might not be worth the learning curve.

Re: WordPress?

Posted 18 years 4 days ago
    • hi... here's my 2 cents...
      I've watched the whole blog trend grow the past few years...
      and it's still changing in my opinion.

There's kind of two *main* mechanisms that websites use today for getting visitor feedback...
      one is a blog... the other is a message board like this.

In my opinion... the blog just allows you to control a little more of what gets published as an "original" topic.
      but that's kind of misleading... because you can do that with a Message Board to by creating a read-only board or by only letting your visitors post replies but not start new topics.
      So... they *are* two separate "monsters" (blog & boards) but I could see message boards being used for more of a long-term approach to your site.

For example... a message board on a low-traffic site kind of looks bad... but not so for blogs. It doesn't really matter if people aren't commenting at first.

But if you build a site using the message board *as* your blogging tool... then, once your traffic gets reliable in numbers... then you can open up the ability for your visitors to post new topics etc.... and you can keep your own boards separate for your blogs.

I think a tool like SMF is proving that a message board can do just about any of the blogging stuff and then some.

So, combine SMF with Joomla... and I think we could all go to heaven then... :) because the answers to the universe are all starting to make sense.

so... hope that helps... you can ignore my blabbing if i got carried away.... :)

-Jeff
  • Re: WordPress?

Posted 18 years 3 days ago
    • Bridged WP vs. Comment Component for Joomla?

In my opinion, I would never use a bridged solution over a Joomla!tm component unless there was a extremely compelling reason to do it. The only example that I would currently consider is SMF IF I had a very large forum community site planned. The only reason for that is the extreme complexity of an excellent forum seems to be beyond what is offered for components. That said, if the community part of the site was to be contained in the forum (front end of the site did not require front end login)--I wouldn't even bridge it, I'd just skin the forum to go with the rest of the site. Much easier to keep updated for appropriate security patches.

Now, more specifically for the blogging; the main technical aspects to a blog site (as I understand them) are trackback, rss feed, comments, and pinging. We already have rss and comments leaving trackback and pinging. Trackback http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackback is intended for creating syncronized commenting and references across blogs who use trackback. Pinging is a little controversial (so I hear) in that some website aggregators monitor ping servers and use this to scavenge content. Now, as long as you're getting traffic back to your site this may be a good thing, not bad... but again some sites will steal the content as opposed to summarizing and linking back to the original site. I would say the legitimate people who are using ping lists to aggregate content far out-weigh the unscrupulous.

Finally--I'm befuddled that someone (sorry, I'm not a developer) hasn't written a BLOG component that has a robust, spam free commenting system that incorporates trackback and server pinging. Once the comment stuff is done, the other two have to be incredibly simple. Am I missing something? I'm about to go and beg Marko to write it, but he's busy between being a Core Developer, OpenSEF, and his WordPress Bridge. :: sigh::
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Posted 18 years 3 days ago
    • Thanks for the replies. Really sheds some light on that subject for me. As everyone seems blog crazy these days, I though I might be missing something.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds