Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Firefox vs IE

• Firefox vs IE

Posted 17 years 11 months ago
    • I seem to have struck a rather serious snag, in that my site (ModernBusiness based) does not seem to work with firefox, (latest update, self installed) but works flawlessly in IE. The menu system is 'dead' ie not able to be clicked on, and some front page graphics do not work. It seemed to work better before firefox upgraded itself. In the past FF had issues re text alignment etc, and was a bit messy, but at least the menus worked.
      FYI see www.ambersunalpacas.co.nz
      Where does one start to try to work this out? :-\
      Phil
    • Last Edit: 17 years 11 months ago by Philip Wood.
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Firefox vs IE

• strange as it doesn't work in firefox but i have a standard installation of modbus at www.dugdaletowers.com and it works fine

this would lead me to believe the issue isn't the tempalte but something else, hence leaving the thread here
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
  • Re: Firefox vs IE

• Thanks. I'm a newbie, so ?its a CSS issue. The server is running on a PHP/Apache/XP system (should this matter?). The site has the HotProperty component installed with only alterations to verbage. As far as I know it is vanilla as I am not experienced enough to tinker.
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• could be lots of things. who is your host?
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• Wow this is odd.....

I was trying to see what was wrong with your site and if you had made someting with the CSS, that wouldn't work in FF..

I have the "Web Developer" extenstion installed so it was easy to compare your css with the default template, but they looked identical, but here comes the odd stuff.

When I am on your site, and showing ur "id & class" details with the web developer plug-in, your menu works??

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Don't know what it means but very odd imo..
  • Re: Firefox vs IE

• I've been out of touch for the last week. I am very grateful for any response cos this has me beat.

The site is hoted on my standalone XP (Home) based Apache/PHP/MySQL machine. Fixed IP and to my knowledge no specific restrictions. The Site includes the 'Hot Property' Component and I have done some minor alterations to the verbage / Lnaguage to allow it to be alpacas rather than House sales... So In terms of functionality, I am not surprised that it is very 'vanilla' ie css are identical. i'm not knwlegeable enought to majke such alterations, unless I merely ape someones elses example.

I too have the web developer ext installed and your are right, merely opening the id and class details, anchors, the allows the menus, the hot links etc to work agin, although does nto solve the formatting, and misplaces heading overlay etc. I suspect that it is either an interaction between the component and the template or something at the header css level, as this is diplaced when information is turned on, ? allowing some better registration of image and hot spots. The template has all the attributes I prefer, so I loathed to chage it.

If the installation is inappropriate ie I should have something else, then this is a real diaapointment as the specs did not mention this. I am willing to upgrade to XP pro but having tried a few Linux distros I fet that I could afford the learning curve / time.

The way the various browsers handle images seem to vary a lot and I've had problems in the past when I'd didn't have the exact photographs size registered as in the style sheets. This may explain why there is some formatting problems. It's really tedious and time-consuming to have to work this out. I wish there were a good quality standards.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 11 months ago by Philip Wood.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds