Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

css for image on welcome page

• dru pal
    • Rocketeer

Re: css for image on welcome page

Posted 17 years 10 months ago
    • UPDATE COMMENT to earlier written BELOW stuff: I am now thinking that I should use the editor in the backend to do this. NOT the Parameters TAb and Page Class Suffice Box over on the right. So: having turned on FCkeditor 2.2 [joomlaFCK] in ADVANCED mode... I DO see the styles tab...though after highlighting text there is not the words container1 under styles menue in FCK. I had also put into the CSS container2 code the same as container1 only WITHOUT the "." period/fullstop before the word container.

When I DO get this working I wonder if it will put the PIX under JUSt the text I highlight? ALSO is there a way to have the background PIX resize depernding on whether the viewer is using thin/wide/liquid.. Basically I want the PIX to fill the entire CONTENT area.... Felling good about this! Any help poss. on my not gettin' it ...?

EARLIER text BELOW

I may be able to figure it out though: [no luck on first try]

1) what do I do to . Mark all the text and under the style menu choose container1
      Does this mean highlight the text with the editor..? [as I've tried and been unlucky I guess]

2) do I need the "." [period/full stop] when I assume I put the word container1 in the page class suffix box under parameters in the mock static page I'm testing with.

3) can I do this with a content item proper? Do I still put the word container1 in the paramenters page IN page class suffix...???

whew...
      feeling pretty close though no luck yet!

thank you!
    • Last Edit: 17 years 10 months ago by dru pal.

• Hehe trying all sorts of options in Joomla can make you confused, so lets start from the beginning.

1 - What is it that you want to do?

2 - What type of image are we talking about?

Let's forget everything that has been said and written - answer the first 2 questions, and I will get back to you.
    • dru pal
    • Rocketeer

• SUPERB Thomas! Yeah, so right and yet all those mistakes add to moving towards being an expert. yes, stating the obvious is my biggest talent! :)
      SO:

1) i have a png and/or jpg that I want to have behind the content area FULLY for a standard content item. Ideally I could have this graphic in various colours that i've done though that's for another time and I can probaby sort that later.

2) Ideally the graphic would resize itself depending on the viewers choice of resolution-width etc. fluid/wide. Though I usually put text into a table to format it so I'll have to think about that. any ideas on that point would be too cool. Actually maybe this is NOT an issue and I CAN put text into a table as the graphic will rely on the css directive, so to speak.

3) I have dropped this code EXACTLY at the bottom of the template [VERSATILITY] MAIN css file, as opposed to the other littler css files.

.container1 {
      float: left;
      padding: 10px;
      margin: 20px;
      background: #ebdbba;
      border: 10px solid #5e776b;
      width: 650px;

}

AND ALSO

container2 {
      background: #ebdbba;
      width: 650px;

}

[These are hopefully correct 'TEST' code bits as I am aware that I need to use full URL or site root relative URLs to call any graphic files]

4) I have then tried two things...

- turning on the editor typing in some text, highlighting the text and going up to styles pull down menu in editor [joomlaFCK > fck 2.2]
      and there's no choice for container1 OR container2

- I have also typed either container1 [or 2] OR .container1 [or 2] in the content item's page class suffix parameter box over to the right under the parameter tab in the content items page.

nothin'! Though it's possible that i've missed trying then FULLY refreshing after putting in a combination, as stated above.

This is gonna be great!
      diggin' the struggle...
      am I nuts!??! yep!

• Ok here we go :)

The image you need to use is that a tileable pattern or some sort of image with a motive?
      In case it's a tileable pattern there is no problem no matter how small/big the container is, the image will just tile/repeat itself infinity. On the other hand if it's an image with a motive it's a problem, and if it can be done, I'm not the right person to ask.

But back to the actual content problem.

Do this:

1 - download and open the file template_css.css from the template/versatility/css folder

2 - remove all the stuff that you have added

3 - save the file and upload it to the same folder you got it from, if your ftp program asks to overwrite, choose yes

4 - log into your Joomla admin panel and in the top menu pick the following sub section site/template manager/site templates

5 - you will now get a list of all installed templates add a "mark" in the circle radio button left of the Versatility template and press "Default" in the top right menu

6 - now that the template is selected as default, add a mark once again in the same radio button and choose "Edit CSS" in the top right menu

7 - you will now be presented with the template_css.css file and you should now scroll down to the bottom of the file and paste the following stuff in the bottom of the file

.container1 {
           width: 270px; 
           /* ie5win fudge begins */
           voice-family: "\"}\"";
           voice-family:inherit;
           width: 240px;
           }

8 - before you press "Save" make sure that it says "template_css.css is Writeable" above the css list, if so press "Save"

9 - now you need to add this class to some text it can be both dynamic and static content

10 - go into "Content / All content items" in top menu and press "new" in top right menu

12 - in the "title" and "title alias" field type "test"

13 - in the "intro text" field (the first big white one) type "This is just a container 1 test" - without the quotes

14 - select all the text with your mouse, so the text turns white and the background of the text blue

15 - just above the text field you are writing in there is a drop down menu called "Styles", scroll down to "container1"

16 - press "container1" and voila text transforms into what we wanted

IMPORTANT / THE ONLY TIME I HAVE NOT SEEN CONTAINER 1 PRESENT IN THE STYLES MENU WAS WHEN I HAD ANOTHER TEMPLATE AS DEFAULT - REMEMBER THIS CONTAINER1 CLASS IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR THE TEMPLATE_CSS.CSS IN VERSATILITY FOLDER - IF GAZETTE IS DEFAULT CONTAINER1 CLASS WILL NOT SHOW IN THE ABOVE STYLES MENU

If the above those not work, I don't know what is wrong m8.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 10 months ago by .
    • dru pal
    • Rocketeer

• Woo Hoo ! Awesome thour-ility!

looks like it's gonna be 9 to end that rock my ... um...well...

Be back in a bit-t-t-t-t-t ...
      SoSoCool.

[NOTE: done a re-read and enjoying the nervous anticipation as I thought I'd done it right and certainly, I GUESS? ...IF I'm seeing Versatility it IS default ..my blah blah blah... and now, to put the groceries away and ...Go for it.. ah, problems what would I be without them! HUGEly thanking]

QUICK GUESS now that the groceries are away and I'm setting up: either FCk wasn't happy so I'll try JCE etc. or my code truncations were bungled... or a sessions/refresh thingie..Not much else to pre-empt I think it's called.
      i'm leaving GOD out of this one.
    • dru pal
    • Rocketeer

• YEP. Tiny works fine...

now to delve into the background pix vibe and... the full terror of finding out IF I can get ONE pix without repeating itself to STRETCH to fill the ENTIRE content area..

And then [shudder] what it will take to find out IF I can have editable text In tables OVERtop of this auto-resizing NON repeating graphic...

my gut hurts...

Seriously: this is gonna help a lotta 'not quite human types' like me...
      Get some sleep Mark...
      um, ok.

Appreciate the Greatness of your time and knowledge and CLARITY Thomas!!

• Happy I could help.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds