Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

PNG won't show up in M$ IE

PNG won't show up in M$ IE

Posted 17 years 9 months ago
    • When using a png file as a product-image in Virtuemart with the Versatility II theme, the image won't show up in M$ IE... In al the other browsers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Camino) it works perfectly well. It doesn't matter if I use a transparent background or a solid one, the images just won't show up!
      This whole problem only shows up while using RocketThemes. When using the standard Solarflare theme, everything works just fine.
      Can someone please help me?! Any help would be very, very appreciated!
  • Re: PNG won't show up in M$ IE

• D. Naumovski wrote:
      When using a png file as a product-image in Virtuemart with the Versatility II theme, the image won't show up in M$ IE... In al the other browsers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Camino) it works perfectly well. It doesn't matter if I use a transparent background or a solid one, the images just won't show up!
      This whole problem only shows up while using RocketThemes. When using the standard Solarflare theme, everything works just fine.
      Can someone please help me?! Any help would be very, very appreciated!

M$ Explorer has known issues dealing with PNG files... What is wrong with the PNG format? Well, ... nothing. The problem is that the most popular browser - Internet Explorer 6- for Windows - does not natively understand Alpha transparency, even though Gecko browsers, KHTML browsers, Opera, Internet Explorer Mac and several minor browsers all do. It displays normal PNGs correctly, and version 4 and up can handle binary transparency if the palette is saved with the image, but as soon as any Alpha transparency is applied, the transparency is replaced with the image's background colour.

M$ has even acknowledged this issue and wrote a solution here:
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294714

Adobe is not the best application to create or modify PNG files either. Adobe somewhat butchers PNG files, while Macromedia (I mean) Adobe Fireworks is the best.

You know its still hard for me to say Adobe this or Adobe that since Macromedia has now changed to Adobe..

Anyway, I hope this gives you some insight and if you don't have Adobe Fireswords graphic editiing tool, you can get a free 30 trial here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294714

Re: PNG won't show up in M$ IE

• I want to thank both of you for your quick replies!

@jonathan: Thank you for your clear explanation about png and IE! I didn't know about the binary transparency.
      @JOEL: that looks like avery interesting plugin! The only thing is that the Versatility II theme uses images in it's menu and the whole theme gets really ugly because of that (when publishing the mambot)

I still have the problem that the png images (download or created with different programs) just completely disappear in M$ IE when using them as product-images in Virtuemart. When using the same images within static content or within a non-RocketTheme-template, they just show up fine (except for the transparency of course ;) ). You can easily reproduce this by for example using the Versatility II Theme with virtuemart and using a .png as a product or category image.
      It really is a very strange fenomenon... I don't know how to solve it...
    • Yves
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Couldn't you use only jpg for your Virtuemart product-images ?
    • Yves

• What application are you using? Photoshop?

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds