Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Confused about particles, no frontend editing?

• Confused about particles, no frontend editing?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago
    • I have previously used shape5 and am brand new to RocketThemes. But I'm totally confused by these particles. One of the great benefits to Joomla is easy frontend editing without even needing to go into the Admin area. It appears so far the Particles have gotten rid of this key benefit. Now I need to go and navigate through a contrived system of abstractly named particles that contain modules that contain particles?

When taking a random block of text on the site, it can be very unclear exactly where that is located on the back end within a list of modules that contain particles. This adds a massive headache when dealing with a large site with lots of items. I feel like I must be missing something... is there a setting to enable front end editing of the particles? I would like to take a template and simply change text or remove items. I don't want to have to create my own unique structuring to the site.

I didn't find that anywhere on the documentation? docs.gantry.org/gantry5/particles/particles

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something or if there is an easier way of doing this. If not I may need to switch back to shape5. Thanks!
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: Confused about particles, no frontend editing?

• Re: Confused about particles, no frontend editing?

• Thanks for the reply! that certainly answers the question. These particles seem to mostly cater to developers with complex structuring requirements, this has to be a smaller minority of people. Most people will use templates because they want increased simplicity and fast dev time frames. Particles are counter productive to this.

To have the best of both worlds, the templates should be made purely with modules that can be edited from the front end. And then let advanced developers who want particles implement in them in the back-end. This would provide simplicity to base users and capability when it is needed.

I've wasted almost an entire day just trying to figure out what the hell is going on with these particles, if I went with another template provider the site would be almost done by now.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: Confused about particles, no frontend editing?

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds