Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Anyone else find Gantry perplexing and obtuse?

• Anyone else find Gantry perplexing and obtuse?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago
    • Not sure what the mission of Gantry dev has been. I assume it was to add a top layer that would make site dev easier and more consistent from site to site, job to job. OK if you're scaling large and manage ma great many sites; if homogeneity has value. I find it laborious to use and stunningly non-intuitive.

Is it just me? Perhaps I'm simply too lazy too wade through the tutorials (it has never been my learning style). In any event, I suspect the next few sites will be the last I will build with Joomla/Gantry/Rockettheme.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: Anyone else find Gantry perplexing and obtuse?

• Rik B
    • Web Development

Re: Anyone else find Gantry perplexing and obtuse?

• I struggled with Gantry 4, and even more with Gantry 5.

However, after using Gantry 5 on a few projects, and experimenting with it, I think it's fantastic. I totally understand how it can be difficult to grasp, as it flumoxxed me when trying to get used to it.

I think part of the confusion, to me at least, is when some of the templates have modules assigned to positions in the Joomla module manager, whereas other's have modules loaded into Gantry 5's layouts. I guess this is part of it's flexibility, but it's not instantly intuitive at times.

Something I'd recommend is after using a RocketLauncher install, to delete all the sample data and create some basic layouts just using the Gantry 5 layouts. I have to admit, that even when Gantry 4 was release, I was a bit "meh", as I always just liked using Versatility 3 and I was set in my way of working.

Times do change though, and I'd certainly recommend giving Gantry 5 a chance. Hopefully it will bring you a eureka lightbulb moment! :)
    • The following users have thanked you: Reggie Simmons, Zbigniew Sokal

• www.binarydelights.com

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds