0 items Join Now

Non-profit theme?

• safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Website designer and Administrator

Non-profit theme?

Posted 3 years 5 months ago
    • Hi Guys
      Just wondering if you are might be considering creating a WordPress theme for charities?
      We work with a lot of non-profit charities with limited budgets
      Often we find that we use plugins instead of the particles - which is a shame.
      (Completely understand the economics)
      Just wondering if you guys might consider creating a non-profit theme?

Andrew
    • Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by safeworld4women.
    • My wife and I design, build and maintain websites - for non-profit organisations, therapists, artists, local community groups and small businesses.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Non-profit theme?

• Not for the next template but if you can tell us specifically what you would like to see we will consider it. What extensions are you using that can’t be achieved with particles?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Website designer and Administrator

• Hi Mark
      Sorry for the late reply.
      Difficult to answer your question re particles to be honest.
      Because of course each website is different.
      One thing which would be great which I mentioned a while back is to have a title field in the Latest Post particle.
      This should be something relatively easy to do - I would have thought.
      If you look on this site
      educationsaveslives.org/
      I have used the WordPress posts particle in 2 places. Latest News and Featured User Groups
      But each time I have had to add a custom title onto them and code them accordingly.
      It's a bit of a pain!
      If you look on this page
      educationsaveslives.org/condolences/
      I used the Soliloquy slider plugin to create the image slider.
      Because I couldn't easily find a way to do this with any of the slider particles.
      (RokSprocket was an option - but we don't go down that road again!)

Just one last thing
      Sometimes it is really useful to add a particle into text.
      I was struggling how to do this until I found a WP plugin
      en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/amr-shortcode-any-widget/
      Which allowed me to 'translate' a particle into a WP shortcode

Hope this gives some indication of what I referred to.

Lastly - the thing with having a Charity theme is also about customer perception as well.
      The last 2 themes - Pheonix is about fitness - very 'male'.
      Elixir is about Coffee shops and pubs (interesting re current times)
      Clarity seems to be about Brand Awareness and Akuatik also.
      Adding Eco themes / Charity themes which other theme companies are doing.
      Might be a good move?
      And would be appreciated.

Best

Andrew
    • My wife and I design, build and maintain websites - for non-profit organisations, therapists, artists, local community groups and small businesses.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok let me answer those...

1. We don't have a "latest posts" particle in any theme? we have various versions of "latest blogs" and "latest news" particles of which some do support a title, and some do not - it depends on the theme.

2. The Wordpress posts particle (a.k.a contentarray particle) is part of Gantry 5 core, as such any changes required to that should be requested as an issue in the Gantry 5 opensource project - it's nothing to do with the theme. https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues

3. All recent themes (and a lot that we have recently updated retrospectively) include the "swiper" particle. This particle is capable of many different layout out types and can also source it's data from Wordpress too. It's certainly capable of the example that you cited - see "multiple slides per view" example here in latest Phoenix template https://demo.rockettheme.com/live/wordpress/phoenix/swiper/

4. I can see that "shortcode any widget" plugin is useful and that seems a good solution. RT doesn't develop Wordpress widgets or Joomla plugins any longer - all our developments now tend to be CMS agnostic i.e. within Gantry 5 (particles and atoms) or plugins for GRAV (our own CMS).

5. I am still struggling to see from your answer what constitutes the "non-profit" theme requirements that you seek? We have nearly 100 themes now so surely one of those must be useful? We try to produce themes that are not too "niche" - even the "cofee shop" example you cited can be changed to another purpose just by changing the imagery/content (in fact I've seen many examples of that already). If you say other theme providers are doing this - it would be useful if you could provide links so I can better explain to our DEVS what you are looking for.

I really do want to help, I just can't see the particular "uniqueness" that is required of a theme to support non-profit organisations that cannot be achieved through our existing themes.

Incidentally, the next theme is SaaS oriented - but again the content could easily be changed to represent a non-profit organisation.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds