Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Need advise to upgrade to Joomla 4 after some 404 errors on first trial

• Need advise to upgrade to Joomla 4 after some 404 errors on first trial

Posted 2 years 2 months ago
    • Hi There, fellow Rockettheme members…
      I am a long time subscriber at the Joomla template department, using the FUTURISTIC theme for a few years now after my switch from the Oculus and the Lumiere template.
      Now it looks I have to upgrade again to Joomla 4.X and I am a bit worried. The RT template seem Ok to be used with J4, but it looks like many extensions are not compatible.
      As I use Joomla for over 12 years now, I still cannot say that I am a professional user. I am more a content builder with some limited knowledge of the tech side of Joomla.
      My local news website is rather large ( +/- 20 Gb), and I always did the upgrade as good as I could with older modules, plugins etc…. This brings a lot of old stuff, but I al afraid I don’t know what I can delete and uninstall. It looks there are a lot of folders from old modules, components, plugins etc…
      I think I need a fresh install for my J4 upgrade, but I need to bring my old content to the new site.
      What is the best way to handle this ? What would be the best component to help me importing my older content to this new install.
      Please help me out with some great ideas that could lead me trough the J4 upgrade process.

You can check the live site here: rawepo.be
      Sytem information:
      J version using now : Joomla! 3.10.5 Stable [ Daraja ] 15-January-2022
      PHP Version 7.4.27
      Database versie 5.7.32-35-log

Kind Regards
      André Jansens (Be)
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Need advise to upgrade to Joomla 4 after some 404 errors on first trial

• So I can see that the theme you are actually using is "acronym". You should be able to update your existing site - no need to build a new one. The steps you will need to take are:

1. Backup your existing site using akeeba backup.
      2. create a testing site and use the backup that you took with Akeeba kicksstart.
      3. So you now have a safe area in which to conduct the update without affecting your live site.
      on the test site...
      4. You will need to replace any RT "rok" extensions that you are using with an alternative particle or module. Then you will need to uninstall the RT "rok" extensions completely.
      5. Update Gantry to G5.5.9
      6. Update Acronym template to v1.5.0
      7. Go to g5 menu editor and save each of your menus
      8. test your site thoroughly at this point to make sure it is all working.
      9. Verify that any third-party extensions you have are on latest versions that are compatible with J4. If not, update them and test again.
      10. backup again
      11. update to Joomla 4 via joomla updater (switch update channel to "joomla next" in options first).
      12. backup again and test your site.

Everything is working you can then clone your site back to the production site.

https://rockettheme.com/forum/announcements-all/287041-joomla-4-and-j3-10-your-questions-answered
      https://rockettheme.com/forum/announcements-all/287272-gantry-5-5-x-release-important-notes-before-you-update

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by MrT. Reason: corrected type
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Need advise to upgrade to Joomla 4 after some 404 errors on first trial

• Last week, I did a similar migration for my client:
      www.bogatynia.info.pl/

11,800 articles have been carried over.
      I deleted no less than 40 old plugins.

There was no need to rebuild Joomla.
      Just a lot of patience and time.

I made changes on the copy of the page!
      Then I swapped pages.

Now my client's Joomla 4 only has 5 plugins installed!
      It loads faster and after a week it has 20% more visits to the website.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• André Jansens - are you ok now?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Not quite,working on it.
      I was hoping the ROK extensions were stil OK vor J4.
      I have set up a test site under a subdomain but it's not working out for me.
      www.j4.rawepo.be/
      I will get back to you when I have a specific question, I am totally lost now.
      I thougt I had find some video from Ryan Demmer with some guide lines but it seems that I have lost it somewhere.... :<(
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok just reply when you have more questions.

Regards, Mark.
    • Quenda
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Audio-video-web freelancer. Apple hardware/software tech. support_

• When I need to test a new website I always work on a subfolder.
      I.E.: www.mywebsitename/newsite .

Using PHP 7.4 I can have a site with Joomla 3.9 or 3.10 in www.mywebsitename AND another site with Joomla 4 in www.mywebsitename/newsite .

IMPORTANT: you need to edit the "RewriteBase" line in the .htaccess (or htaccess.txt) file in the subfolder site. I.E.: change # RewriteBase ---- to
      > RewriteBase /newsite.

After only some hours with Joomla 4 I can't notice such a big improvement if compared to Joomla 3.9.x. Only my opinion...

Ettore

P.S.: of course you need another MySQL database for the new website in the subfolder...
    • Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Quenda.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Using a subdomain is better if you can (it is effectively a subfolder anway) but you don't have to mess with things like changing rewritebase or paths to anything in your site. So my aadvice is to use asubdomain where possible.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: André Jansens

• Just a quick question Mark,

You write that all ROK extenions need to be installed in 4
      - 4. You will need to replace any RT "rok" extensions that you are using with an alternative particle or module. Then you will need to install the RT "rok" extensions completely.

Is that exect or do you need them to be uninstalled or deleted?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Typo... just corrected that UNINSTALL all rok extensions after your have found, tested and replaced them with an alternative.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds