0 items Join Now

Long term support G5 and Rockettheme

• John K
    • Jr. Rocketeer
    • Webmaster

Long term support G5 and Rockettheme

Posted 1 year 2 months ago
    • Hi, I hope everyone is well.

I have been a long term supporter of Rockettheme and understand the reasons for reducing the number of template updates. With so many options available, you can pretty much design any website needed--especially in the small business space I work in.

What allows me to continue to operate in my niche in the face of all those do-it-yourself point and click website companies charging $18/month, etc. is that I can tout the stability of the template products and open source CMSs I use, and how there isn't necessarily vendor lock in to the customer as the tools can be moved to any compatible hositng provider. So far, I've had a 10+ year track record with Rockettheme myself.

I am currently working with clients to refresh websites from J3.10 to J4.X, and with that, converting from Gantry 4 to Gantry 5 themes, in most cases, moving to a new design. (I have some clients that can't believe it's been 10 years and expect sites to be immortal--which just isn't possible).

I was wondering, given that things appear to have slowed down, but are still somewhat active, what is the support plan for Gantry 5? Do we know if it'll be around at least the next 5-10 years like Gantry 4?

I've gone all in on my web design business utilizing Grav and Joomla, with Rockettheme as my foundation, and I'm just hoping there's plans to continue things as I have to plan on the 5 to 10 year time frame as a business owner myself.

Thank you,
      John
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Long term support G5 and Rockettheme

• 5-10 years is a long time in website technology - I doubt anyone could accurately predict the future. All I can say is that I continue to be here everyday providing support and I’ve no plans on changing that. The RT team is considerably smaller than it once was, largely due to the decline in joomla popularity and the use of CMSs in general. GRAV was built from the ground up and continues to be developed by the same people who built gantry.

The existing portfolio of 50 Gantry 5 templates should be more than enough to meet anyones requirement and new templates from hereonin will be infrequent and ad-hoc as we announced a couple of years ago.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Long term support G5 and Rockettheme

• Real shame to hear of this decline. All the templates, whilst good, I'm still waiting for the 'perfect' one for me. Although always learning how to adjust and modfiy them helps.
      I do think potentially joomla 4 may help. I've only just updated and it does seem much more upto date than J3 was. Trouble is their power also makes them a bit of a learning curve.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds