Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Any tips on comparing CSS files for conflicts

Any tips on comparing CSS files for conflicts

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • I have a smf forum bridged/wrapped on my site and its making a real mess of the layout due to css conflicts. So far I have

style.css(SMF)
      template_css.css(joomla)
      dark_color.css(joomla)

all of them are quit long. Has anyone got any tips on comparing them and spotting the duplicates?
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Any tips on comparing CSS files for conflicts

• I use the Firefox web develop tools. Specifically CSS -> View Style Information. Then click the item in question that is causing grief. it 'usually' loads a page where it shows which css is acting upon this element, and in what order.

Also if you have a Mac, you can try xylescope ( www.culturedcode.com/xyle/ ), it's excellent. not sure if there's a PC equivelant.

• Andy Miller wrote:
      I use the Firefox web develop tools. Specifically CSS -> View Style Information. Then click the item in question that is causing grief. it 'usually' loads a page where it shows which css is acting upon this element, and in what order.

Also if you have a Mac, you can try xylescope ( www.culturedcode.com/xyle/ ), it's excellent. not sure if there's a PC equivelant.

Now that sounds interesting! I have the firefox extension, but it doesnt load up any page showing which css is effecting that particular area. It just displays some css info an the very bottom of the taskbar, but most of that gets truncated as it doesnt all fit the screen. Nice tip though, thanks :)
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• it does show the info at the bottom, but if you click the crosshair on an item, it will load the info in a new tab.

• I've figured it out. I had to reinstall firefox choose the 'Custom' and 'Developer Tools' options. Now it works perfect! Long live firefox

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds