Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

How do I replace source .png file on my site?

How do I replace source .png file on my site?

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • I have modified the source png for one of the RocketTheme templates. How do I now use that png in place of the default png that comes with the template?

Thank you,
      Stephen
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: How do I replace source .png file on my site?

• once you made the changes you need to show the web layer (basically when showing web layer a series of green boxes will appear)

if you right click on one fo these you can 'Export Selected Slice'. to keep things simple just save it as the same name of the file you are replacing, i.e. ig_headetertext_blue.png and then copy over to the server and replace the existing file
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• OK. I exported the slice. When I try and replace using Cute FTP to upload it, I get an error:

STATUS:> Connecting FTP data socket 207.58.165.49:62779...
      553 Rename/move failure: Permission denied
      ERROR:> Access denied

When I try and CHMOD the file or the image directory or the md_businessessence directory I get this error:

COMMAND:> SITE CHMOD 777 /public_html/templates/md_businesssense
      550 Could not change perms on /public_html/templates/md_businesssense: Bad file descriptor
      ERROR:> Requested action not taken (e.g., file or directory not found, no access).

Am I trying to do this replacement incorrectly? If not, what then do you suggest?

Thank you!
      Stephen
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• I think it's time to write a faq on this :) seems this question/issue comes up constantly. Here's the deal:

joomla is php, php runs under the webserver user account. this is typically apache and the user is often something like www-data. When you install something with joomla the files are uploaded and created on the server's filesystem by php which as i've just described ends up being the webserver user account. Now typically hosting providers don't set the permissions so that apache shares any access with your user account, so what happens is that after you've installed the template, those template files are now owned by apache and you cannot replace them. There are several solutions, you can use something like joomlaxplorer which lets you manipulate files through joomla which in turn means the apache user.

Probalby the easiest solution in this case is to uninstall the template via the joomla administrator, and then extract the template manually and ftp the whole template dir into the <joomla>/templates folder. This will allow you to edit the files yourself later.

does that help?

• Yes, that helps! I ended up trying something similar to this. I extracted the template on my local PC, made the modifications I needed, and re-zipped the template. I then uninstalled the template within Joomla and reinstalled the updated one. That of course worked.

I like both the suggestions you made though. It sounds like JoomlaXplorer is an extremely useful component and I will install it right away. The other way sounds good too.

Thank you very much for your reply. At least some of us can program php but that doesn't necessarily mean we are *nix experts or Apache experts. Well, at least I'm not.

Thanks again!
      Stephen

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds