Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Company Website using Salient

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Company Website using Salient

Posted 5 years 2 months ago
    • 1. "display: box" was the very first implementation of the flexbox model and very old browsers used that. It has now been superseded by "display: flex" (not "display: flexbox" as you stated) https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_class_display.asp . The statements, all though apparently from Gantry 5 nucleus, are coming from "bourbon" (which is a third-party product that Gantry 5 happens to use and over which we have no control). The "display: box" statements are present in that products because the developers of bourbon are trying to achieve backwards compatibility with very old browsers. All browsers work on the principle that they will ignore anything that they don't understand, therefore whilst the errors reported by W3C are correct for all modern browsers they're not for very old browsers. So, in conclusion, I would absolutely not be modifying core Gantry 5 files to overcome these errors - they can safely be ignored and any future Gantry 5 update would overwrite and reinstate the file anyway. Furthermore you should never change the content of the css-compiled directory as Gantry frequently overwrite the contents.

2. As I stated, you yourself cannot overcome the reported "role" errors - that requires a change to Gantry 5 and there is already an outstanding bug ticket about this https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues/2127

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Dan Atrill
    • Web developer

• Thanks Mark - that's a very helpful response. I was aware that the change to a compiled css file could be overwritten and would never alter core files.

So really the errors that showed up are out of our hands and we should leave them alone, including the css ones.
    • ============
      DJA Online Services - Joomla Website Development. Established 2010.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You've got rid of a lot of the other errors, but essentially yes - what remains you cannot fix yourself.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

• Dan, it looks fine now. There is an easier way to do this. In Gantry 5, at the bottom of the Styles tab, is Configuration Styles for Menu. In the Simple Dropdown Width field, you can just change the width to a slightly larger pixel rate, e.g., 190px.
    • Best wishes,
      Rae
    • Dan Atrill
    • Web developer

• Hi Rae

Thanks for the suggestion and for taking another look. My only feeling about setting a width like that is a longer menu item may still wrap. I did find that with having several styles (ie for home, default, etc) I had to republish the css for each as it creates a separate stylesheet for each, ie salient_16.css, salient_16.css, etc.

Best wishes,

Dan
    • ============
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Where are you making CSS changes? The only place you should be doing it is in a custom CSS file.

To create a custom CSS compatible with Gantry 5 please read this http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/adding-a-custom-style-sheet .

Remember to recompile CSS from base outline too.

Then you SHOULD be recompiling CSS from base outline > styles and it will regenerate all the CSS file for you. You should also be in "development" mode whilst doing development and only switch to "production" mode when you have gone live.

Regards, Mark.
    • Dan Atrill
    • Web developer

• Thanks Mark - I have a custom.scss file in the custom folder within the template, as per the documentation.
    • ============
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Dan Atrill wrote:
      I did find that with having several styles (ie for home, default, etc) I had to republish the css for each as it creates a separate stylesheet for each, ie salient_16.css, salient_16.css, etc.

Well I don't understand the significance of the above then? If you are in development mode and you clear browser and server cache your changes should show after a "recompile CSS" from the base outline.

Regards, Mark.
    • Dan Atrill
    • Web developer

• It was one small change and I must have forgotten to use Developer Mode, but thanks again for pointing it out :-)
    • ============

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds